Weathering DVD. Which one?

Guest LNER Tom

Right Track on Weathering with Tim Shackleton. One of my greatest modelling aides....the general series, but Tim's tutorial certainly opening my ayes into exactly what can be done with an airbrush :)

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, I've got Tim Shackleton's 'Weathering Techniques' I'd highly reccomend it, however it is mainly about airbrush weathering with tips on extra techniques to finish off your models. It covers both steam and diesel in its content . The other which I havn't seen yet is one by George Dent 'Weathering Expert' I believe this one is a more general look at weathering. Both are advertised in 'Model Rail' this month. Hope this is of some help, cheers Phil.

There are two Right Track DVDS that cover Weathering.

The main one is Tim Shackleton's in which he uses an airbrush. There is a clip from the 4 hour programme on this link...

http://www.model-rai...ght_track11.php

Also, Iain Rice shows how he weathers his wagons using brushes and powders as a part of Right Track 14 - Wagons: Part 2. The clip from this programme is on...

http://www.model-rai...ght_track14.php

Chris

• 1 year later...

There are two Right Track DVDS that cover Weathering.

The main one is Tim Shackleton's in which he uses an airbrush. There is a clip from the 4 hour programme on this link...

http://www.model-rai...ght_track11.php

Also, Iain Rice shows how he weathers his wagons using brushes and powders as a part of Right Track 14 - Wagons: Part 2. The clip from this programme is on...

http://www.model-rai...ght_track14.php

Chris

Just to follow up on this, we are working on a new release for September 2012.

Right Track 17 - "Weathering Techniques 2" features Tim Shackleton and is designed to complement Right Track 11 - his first DVD in the Right Track series.

In the new DVD, Tim will explore creative airbrush work and also a variety of hand-finishing techniques such as acrylic washes, salt weathering, graffiti, paint fading and detail weathering using gouache, enamels and powders.

There’s also a full section on airbrush care and maintenance to help you keep your equipment in first-class condition.

If you are on the Activity Media mailing list, we will let you know as soon as the new title is available.

To join the mailing list, click on the "Join" button on this link... http://www.model-railway-dvd.co.uk/ or send me an email to chris.walsh@activitymedia.co.uk

Cheers,

Chris

I have just about all the Right Track DVDs and they are excellent. They do seem to be expensive at first glance but running time is typically 3 hours - very good value IMO. My only issue with the pros and their weathering is that they tend to use enamels. I have always used acrylic in my airbrush, along with powders and pastel.

John

I'm glad to hear you like the Right Track DVDs John and I am pleased to be able to tell you that Tim uses acrylics and enamels (as well as powders etc.) in the new programme.

For my own model-making, I found that the airbrush nozzle blocked very easily with acrylics and I asked around for some advice.

Someone suggested reducing the air pressure - to as low as 10psi for some colours and airbrushes - and keep the paint thin. It works a treat.

Tim uses pressures above 10 psi but a lot depends on the type of airbrush you use.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I look forward to it. This is probably not in your bailiwick but the last DVD to come out from Bob Essery was not available to be shipped to Canada (or so the site said). I couldn't understand that since I got all the others without difficulty. I did get a copy using a roundabout way.

John

Hi John,

I can explain all that.

Our insurance company will not allow us to ship DVDs to the USA or Canada. It is not a technical problem as you know, it's just that they will not give us cover if we use American or Canadian addresses.

Unfortunately, this insurance company is the only one who will give us the cover we require for the rest of the world - or it was a couple of years ago when I set up the policy. Perhaps I should take another look at the alternatives...

Chris

I've heard one or two retailers say they have that problem. Must cut into sales a bit, there are quite a lot of enthusiasts over here. My DVD player is happy with UK sourced discs. Still, where there's a will there's a way. Thanks for that and apologies to Dave for going off topic.

John

• 4 months later...

HI All

I not one for watching modelling DVDs on how to, but i did out of desperation watch "Weathering Techniques 2" as the free view box was knacked, and found it very informative.

The airbrush cleaning gave me some tips as well as the damp brush for doing streaks on the loco sides.

Regards Arran

Archived