Warminster in the 70's

queensquare

Some lovely photos from Tim there.

I only made one visit in 1983, after re-signalling and outside your timescale, one of the photos shows a little of the station infrastructure 

post-7081-0-84356500-1386957152.jpg

33034 pauses with the 15.10 Bristol Temple Meads - Portsmouth Harbour, 9/6/83

cheers

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Fabulous stuff Tim, a real nostalgia trip.

When we weren't riding our bikes around on the station forecourt we would sit with our feet dangling over the former goods platform behind the signal box. I think these sidings were lifted in 1973 when the old wooden goods shed was demolished. I remember my mate Dave Simpson (now the owner of The Gas Cupboard model shop) and I being invited up in the signal box around this time.

The final picture in post 50 is taken from Imber bridge. We lived at 34 Imber Road, about 50 yards down the road and from about 1970 I was allowed to ride up the pavement on my tricycle and watch the trains from this vantage point. It must have been about 1972/3 before I was allowed down the station with the 'big boys' - they were probably eleven or twelve! I remember them moaning about how they were changing all the bl**dy numbers!!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely photos from Tim there.

I only made one visit in 1983, after re-signalling and outside your timescale, one of the photos shows a little of the station infrastructure 

attachicon.gifscan0125a.jpg

33034 pauses with the 15.10 Bristol Temple Meads - Portsmouth Harbour, 9/6/83

cheers

Thanks for posting Rivercider - the sidings are gone and the signal box is a shadow of its former self.

Jerry

Yes, Chevette hatchback in the foreground and a Marina Coupe behind it. The Marina, being a Coupe, is quite sought after by some nowadays!

Yes, so I've heard.  I had a Marina a long time ago, a C**p ar!

• RMweb Gold

I agree that Transit vans are better than Marinas.

But there are and were worse cars than Marinas, not a few of them also from the BL stable.

Among others on my list would be Smart (two-seat version) and the Ford Capri (looked good but dreadful handling).

Sorry, we have gone OT.! :nono:

• 2 weeks later...

Fast Back Marina - an Oxymoron ? Marinas were many things, but fast was not one of them !! :)

With the 1.8-litre, twin carb engine the Marina was faster than the MGB.  However, I think 'Fast Back' is how the Marina should be returned from whence it came.

:jester:

The Marina coupé was done on the cheap, most two-door versions of four-door cars have unique door pressings but BL used the same doors for both saloon and coupé which restricted access to the back seats.

Anyway, great photos!

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the Marina was that peculiar shade of baby sh1te browny/tan they came in, my Grandad had one that colour. My dad had a purple four door for a while. I think they replaced an 1100 and a zephyr respectively. Sorry for the diversion!

The Sailsibury shots ought to bring back memories (we lived in Basingstoke but had family near Tisbury) but sadly being only born in 1969 my memories are too vague before about 1980, although I know we regularly visited Temple Meads up to then, especially up to 76 as my grandparents lived in Warmley! indeed mum and dad were married in Bristle...

Thanks for provoking a trip down memory lane!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 26/11/2012 at 21:49, HGT1972 said:

By the later 1960s the Geest traffic for Warminster left Barry on an evening trip to Severn Tunnel Junction. It regularly conveyed traffic for Taplow (20 vans) and Heathfield (10 vans) alongside 20 vans for Warminster.

Here's a short video of them being processed at Heathfield.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-geest-bananas-1963-online