Peterborough & Millerhill TMD's

Hi Folks,

Qucik question regarding fuelling points on Peterborough and Millerhill TMD's. Where does fuelling take place? I've heard at Peterborough its alongside the shed, and Millerhill has a tank siding but I just wondereed if anyone could shine some light on it

Thanks in advance

Jason

the locos at peterborough are fueled by the side of the shed, the fuel being delivered by road tanker. the shed was used for exams and general maintainence. im working close by there today so if i get time i will get some shots for you. peterborough depot is due to close this month, leaving no fueling facilities in the east, toton being the closes DBS owned place.

We're not quite closed yet !!!

The Messroom rumour factory goes thus:

Whilst the Biggleswade/Bow Blocks are being split at Peterborough there is a requirement to fuel said engine, but when North London Line re-opens fuel point is due to shut.

But our illustrious Traction Inspector is campaigning to keep it open

As previous said our nearest fuelling location is Mountsorrel, although there is Limited space, private siding etc.

Next is Toton, Although Doncaster is a similiar distance both are busy.

Christ knows where the nearest southward point is but I'm sure DBS know what they are doing :wacko:

Millerhill TMD can be seen on google maps and Bing maps. I would try Bing using the bird's eye view as, when you zoom in, three class 66s disappear. The car park becomes busier though - all very interesting. Bizarrely, I've just tried this again and caught a fleeting glimpse of an 08 and a class 47 in the 'chute' (the road to the left of the arrival and off which the 'tank lye' is situated)!

Anyway, enough of this interesting diversion; there is a fuelling point installed outside the shed situated on the arrival road but all fuelling takes place in the shed where there are two pumps allowing two locomotives to be fuelled at any one time.

Had a quick flick through the album at home and unfortunately the photos I have are pretty poor in both term of quality (very old Kodak instamatic) and content. Hope they are of someuse. I have more loco shots around the depot if they are interest to anyone. All the pics were taken c.July 1983. My uncle was a foreman in the wagon repair depot at the yard and retired in 1976, but as a 14 year old going back there in 1983 I was allowed in by dropping his name. One of his colleagues was still working there and used to get me all over the yard to photgraph the wagons (and occasional trips in a BR transit to Craigentinny). After a couple of weeks they just let me wander around everywhere - it was great. Unfortunately being an impecunious teenager I had bought the film, old C126 cartridges, but couln't afford to get them developed. I still have about 20 cartridge lying about somewhere that I came across in a house move a few years ago. Could they still yield anything useful after 30 years?

here are some shots of peterborough fueling shed. taken with permission of DBShenker.

post-6736-0-34575500-1300479638_thumb.jpg

north end of the shed, doors closed as the shed was all locked up.

post-6736-0-39006400-1300479695_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-40910100-1300479801_thumb.jpg

the re-fueling road next to the shed

post-6736-0-12477800-1300479874_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-45525000-1300479952_thumb.jpg

wooden mess shed and stores

post-6736-0-68707700-1300480045_thumb.jpg

fuel storage tanks. fuel was once rail delivered. sadly no longer

post-6736-0-63789300-1300480144_thumb.jpg

current mess facilities, a EWS branded port-a-cabin

post-6736-0-83101900-1300480250_thumb.jpg

the next couple are of the old british rail brick built mess room, derelict but still standing, can you read?? ha ha ha!

post-6736-0-36962900-1300480362_thumb.jpg

post-6736-0-46336100-1300480419_thumb.jpg

hope they are useful. spittal bridge would make a great senic break on a mini layout. add to that the couple of tamper sidings behind the car park,and a shunt spur from west yard that comes up to the shed it will make for a very interesting mini layout. may consider this when the Bachmann peterborough shed is released. if anyone wants measurments for the old brick built mess room, ill try and obtain them. its a farly simple building, and could be easily scratch built. believe it or not the only loco 'on shed' on march 17th 2011 was this........

post-6736-0-62608100-1300480668_thumb.jpg

prototype for everything indeed!! it had another 31 on the other end and two mk2 DVT's sandwhiched in the middle!

no its used to fuel thje loco off the brick train each weekday night and is somtimes used to stable the odd loco at the weekend. the shed hasnt been used for some time though by the looks of things, the tracks were very rusty leading up to it. ive some shots from arounf 1997 that i might scan and add and also quite a few links to pics on the internet of deltics on shed ect. ill see what i can find and post some more info later on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

But there are 2 'sheds' at Peterborough, GBRF and EWS (DB). On Wednesday there were at least 4 on the GBRF facility and two on the DB one. The GBRF facility had two class 20's and 66's whilst DB had a pair of 66's on theirs.

I have the delights of passing both twice a day on my rail commute ...

• 1 month later...

Archived