Bachmann spares for old locomotive

GreenDiesel001

I have an old Bachmann American locomotive that needs a new back axle and gear.

I have contacted Bachmann but they could not help.

Please could any contributor suggest where I might just be able to find one?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I can provide further details of the loco and a photograph of the item if required.

Thanks.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I can provide further details of the loco and a photograph of the item if required.

Thanks.

Before we could help, we'd need to know more information.

Steam loco? Diesel loco?

G scale? HO scale? N scale?

If it is, as I guess, an HO steam loco where the combined gearwheel and axle have collapsed / cracked / broken then there a limited selection options:

1. get a replacement set of wheels / chassis from somewhere like e-bay / swap meet / model train show / second-hand cabinet in a model shop
  2. get an improved / replacement chassis from Bachmann (but they may need some work to get them to fit)
  3. see if an American manufacturer does a replacement chassis. some have done for some models
  4. get a new model from Bachmann

many of the old models Bachmann have made in the past have now been retooled and are better than before. One thing to realise is that options 2, 3 & 4 may all cost about the same.

Hope that helps (if only a little)

Luke

Many thanks for your reply Luke.

I fear any replacement will come with the same problems.

It does seem a shame that an otherwise good locomotive should be consigned to the knackers yard like an old cart horse when so little would convert it into a thorough bred.

The wheels and motor are fine as appears does most of the drive system.

It is just the final drive gear on the rear axle that is disintegrating.

I have emailed Bachmann in the US who have at least acknowledged my enquiry.

I am sure there is something I can do but it may mean a major drive build.

Out of interest the loco was produced in Hong Kong which I believe is the main difficulty.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest the loco was produced in Hong Kong which I believe is the main difficulty.

Eh? As far as I am aware, it's still the same factory :) Hong Kong (which includes Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories) is now part of China rather than a British Overseas Territory, so products are now labelled "Made in China" rather than "Made in Hong Kong". This applies to many of the toys made for the EU marketplace.

If you can send me some pictures of both the loco and the problem I will keep my eyes open at the various shows (in Canada) that include a swap-meet type table. May take a bit of time though since we are approaching the season of poor sleding when the shows tend to go into hibernation. Note, someone needs to tell Mother Nature that the poor sleding season is approaching since we have a snow warning out for 20+cm of the white xxxx over the next 24 hours. This on top of the 25cm we got on Saturday.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks.

Please tell us what it is, the more info. we have the better we may be able to help.

OzzyO.

Hello.

Many thanks for all your replies.

The locomotive is a HO gauge Norfolk & Western J Class 4-8-4 steam unit. It may be upwards of 20 years old. The body and tender are both in good condition.

The box is marked Limited Collectors Edition.

It is a split chassis type.

3 of the 4 driving axles are OK as is the valve gear, if a little loose.

The drive axle which is the rear most is basically a black plastic moulded gear on a plastic axle. This axle has recessed holes each end into which the wheels push.

Really the whole drive system from the motor to the axle would be better replaced but I thought it might be easier to obtain just the axle.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Archived