BR Signalbox Colours circa 1980 ER

From about 1976 onwards the Eastern Region of BR started to paint signalboxes in a new corporate scheme; window and door frames in white, corner posts and doors in black, and remaining bulk of the woodwork in a light grey that in some light looked mushroom or even a pale green/grey.

What was the official name of that grey and what is the nearest available model paint colour? I thought it might be the same warm grey as used in BR Executive Livery?

Hope you guys can help.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, sorry to tag on this thread as anyone any decent pictures or any decent books on the same subject for scratch building a 7mm box, cheers

ER covers a pretty big area, you need to narrow it down a bit

From about 1976 onwards the Eastern Region of BR started to paint signalboxes in a new corporate scheme; window and door frames in white, corner posts and doors in black, and remaining bulk of the woodwork in a light grey that in some light looked mushroom or even a pale green/grey.

What was the official name of that grey and what is the nearest available model paint colour? I thought it might be the same warm grey as used in BR Executive Livery?

Hope you guys can help.

Sorry but I didn`t get any answers to this question when first posted, any help to identify this colour would be appreciated, thanks chaps. sad.gif

Thanks for that Miss Prism, yes I have seen the signalbox website but I couldn`t get the answer I wanted. I have been trawling the net and found a few photos plus I have my own photos taken back in the eighties.

I think I will end up taking the average of them all, allowing for lighting conditions, weathering and print quality and plump for the outcome, after all who is going to tell me it`s incorrect?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but I didn`t get any answers to this question when first posted, any help to identify this colour would be appreciated, thanks chaps. sad.gif

Maybe answering the question I posted would help ... :rolleyes:

Sorry Beast, I thought that your reply was aimed at Gazza DOH! Well I am looking at the boxes in West and South Yorkshire, though I know the paint scheme was also applied in Lincolnshire.

Thanks for replying.

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried looking for pictures of boxes in the livery ? and then taking it to a DIY place ?, some shops can match colours from pictures, might mean you can cover any regional variations better ?

Yes I have got pictures and some photos I took at the time, the problem is this elusive shade looks different in every shot. Maybe Miss Prism is correct in saying that there were two tones, one mushroom and one light grey even though I would have thought it was a standard BR spec.

Thank you for those links Miss Prism, I found this on the web which shows the exact colour scheme I was after :- white windows and door frames, black corner posts and main framing, and the unknown grey for the weather boarding.

post-8071-0-63827100-1300051355_thumb.jpg

Archived