Protective matt varnish

Have been given the job by grandson of "sprucing-up" and non-Thomas-ing his layout.(came as a surprise as i thought he'd lost interest).

Most of the buildings and walls etc were Scalescenes items which I did not protect with a varnish. (didn't expect them to last more than a year!) After 5-6 years they are all looking tired and badly faded so I'm about to start remaking them.

So, how do you clever guys apply the Matt varnish, (brush or spray-can?), and which grade and make gets your vote?

Also the track and platforms are permanently fixed, I propose to just glue a freshly printed second layer on the platform surfaces, is this sensible?

Help greatly appreciated.

There is a great variety of varnishes available. Do you already own an airbrush?

If you want an easy and fairly decent solution then spray cans of "Purity Seal" from Games Workshop work quite well. They give a good flat finsih and are widely available.

I use Ronseal. One of my 7mm loco building mates gave me the tip. He sprays it neat on commission paint jobs.

Been using Ronseal (brush applied) on everything for the last few years. My stock is now 'Jamie proof' (my not so careful 8 year old). As the ad says, it does what is ays on the tin. It definately adds a protective layer as well as the matting effect.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived