Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

John Charman

• RMweb Premium

Today I read in the April Railway Modeller that John Charman has passed on.

His "Charford" layout (in various configurations) was one of my earliest inspirations (RM Jan '66) and was one of my first "nudges" in the direction of all things Southern.

RIP John and thanks.

• RMweb Gold

John Charman was indeed one of the early authors, though it just goes to show how memory fails one as age creeps in. I thought he modelled the S&DJR.

Were you thinking of Mac Pryke and his Berrow branch? Another stalwart of RM in the 60s.

Both excellent modellers for their era and both produced inspiring layouts. ISTR the original Charford was designed to fit in a caravan; it was based on Southern practice. Pryke modelled the SDJR.

It would seem that the obituary was premature, and I am delighted to have been advised that John is alive and well.

I received an apparently reliable message in good faith which I passed onto the Modeller. I was asked in turn for any personal contribution to a possible obituary, and this too was forwarded in good faith.

The rest as they say is history, but none the less embarrassing for that, and I have written a profound apology to John for a part which I played in all innocence.

No wriggling, I contributed to a mistake.

Peter Bedding

It's great that he's alive and well. We should celebrate that! As a very young modeller I was delighted by his timetable articles that appeared (I think) in the Railway Modeller for February and March 1962. The two articles were my timetabling bible for a good ten years and I think the February issue eventually fell apart under the strain of use.

• RMweb Premium

I think I'll probably let someone else post on RMWeb.

Just glad to hear that John is still about (maybe one day I'll get to meet him) although I read somewhere that he is no longer involved with small scale modelling - IIRC "Charford" was dismantled some years ago but parts of the layout were given away or sold and may still survive.

I think Mark Twain springs to mind....

Beat me to it!

Can I quote it? "The rumors about my death are greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain

Far better this way than the other........

Best, Pete.

Archived