If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello All

Lee m22

Hey All!

Thought I'd make my first post on the new forum here. I've been reading RMweb for years now, and was rather active on the old forum a couple a years ago.

Long story short, massive life changes so I've not been doing any model work for a little over a year now but this has been changing recently (yay :D )

Amongst the changes, I've had a change of scale from 00 to N. Not sure if I'm totally happy with that yet, but that's the score.

I've got a small layout on the go and I'll start a thread today. Just an extremely basic roundy loop to get used to n gauge and also to introduce the "boss" how to build a layout.

Trying lots of ideas to learn how to best complete an N gauge layout, and as I've got to scenery for the first time in 11 layout attemts, I've got a lot to learn indeed!

I've been really enjoying reading all the new layout threads since I've been gone, and also catching up on some of the old ones! I cant wait to get interactive and start contributing to the forum!

Happy modelling all!

Regards

Lee :)

Well done for breaking the surface of the pool Lee. Please don't do too good a job of anything 'N' - with Dapol's 26 on the horizon it won't take much to tempt some more of us to dabble tongue.gif

Welcome back, and look forward to seeing your layout develop. There's no danger of me succumbing to the charms of an N 26- its too small for middle aged eyesight :( - but the quality of current releases must surely increase the amount of N layouts around.

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes!

I must say, the quality of N gauge stock is really great! ( moved on since my first encounter with it 14 years ago) I'm a sucker for detail mind, so I do miss the extra detail found in 00. After spending good money on locos too, I'm always rather nervous when it comes to improving them throug hthe fear of wrecking them...practice makes perfect though...that and starting on the wagons! Having said that, I'm also a sucker for large trains ( I so want a full length HST set) so with the space I have, and my ultimate aim of something rather large in the near future, N won a three week battle in my head.

I'm looking forward to seeing - or should I say buying - one of Dapols new HST sets after reading reviews. I've got a rather rapidly growing stock list, and again, I've not been dissapointed by any of the stock in fairness.

I could have easily fitted in a decent 00 layout (I've claimed a room at least 12' x 8') but now the small 00 collection I have is redundant, it will now find it's way to Ebay.

I was initially worried that it would be more of a chore than a challenge to set up an N gauge layout in DCC, but with my interests mainly focused on main line operations atm, I'm starting to think it shouldn't be too hard. May wait until the next layout before going for the plunge mind.

I'm looking forward to getting feedback on the small test layout I'm building as I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on modelling in the scale.....I'm sure I won't regret the decision to use N in the long run :)

Thanks again for the welcomes!

regards

Lee :)

Archived