Bachmann Class 40 sound instalation

Paul-H

Hi Guys

Looking for a few install tips

I have a Loksound decoder on order for my Bachmann Class 40, its the older 8 pin version.

Onviously installing the decoder is not a problem but as far as I can tell there is not much room for anything other than the standard small round speaker.

Anyone got any adivice on anything better to use.

I had thought about the fuel tank as thats often recomended but on the 40 it looks too small for anything usefull.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Hi Guys

Looking for a few install tips

I have a Loksound decoder on order for my Bachmann Class 40, its the older 8 pin version.

Onviously installing the decoder is not a problem but as far as I can tell there is not much room for anything other than the standard small round speaker.

Anyone got any adivice on anything better to use.

I had thought about the fuel tank as thats often recomended but on the 40 it looks too small for anything usefull.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Hi

I was fortunate & got a friend to mill part of the body which allowed for a bass enhanced speaker, I also put the round speaker in the fuel box with blue tac to improve the sound

It all depends on how brave you want to be

Not really an answer but hope this helps.

Evenin'

I did a similar thing with mine, one 23mm round one in the tanks, facing downwards and one in a milled rebate below the fan,(right through the chassis block actually), facing upwards through the grille but means the fan assembly can be left in place. It means a complete strip-down but with two in-phase parallel wired speakers in different locations, I think it worth the effort. You'll be able to turn the volume low and get great quality sound. No pics, I'm afraid, but can be arranged if required. Video clip is of the conversion.Hope this helps!

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Parablennius101#p/u/11/Th0oPC8po6E

• RMweb Gold

my bachy 40 has the standard round speaker mounted where the fan should be, fitted into the now infamous "blacktak donut" you have to remove the fan from the bodyshell (2 screws) but you also have to snip the lugs off the bodyshell, that was the simplest (ie no major surgery) way i found to do it, sounds good too

th_class40.jpg

(howes sounds as usual)

Thanks for all the advice guys

I ended up installing the standard speaker in the fuel tank, its only just big enough for the standard speaker.

Sounds quite good though, I will be able to give it a good thrash tomight on the clubs layout.

Next to do is my Haljan Hymek as soon as the Howes Decoder arives in the post.

Paul

Iv a Howes sound chip 40 which has great top end thrash all bit with a bit of a sharpe spool down, does the SWD have top end thrash? Iv been looking on Youtube etc but not able in find one which opens up like Big Jim has posted.I bought the Howes chip after looking at that clip a few months ago.

I like the tick over on the SWD one but would like to see it open up,this is not to say I dont like the Howes one but woild like a different sounding 40 chip a bit like the really thing they did n't all sound the same eg 40025 use to hummm when thrashed.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully not to off topic but I have seen the mention of "blacktak donut" in this thread and simalar topics on the previous RMWEB. Can anyone advise of a source of this mystical material? Cheers Trevor.

I get mine from focus diy, its called "homelux" bathrooom sealant (i think) and comes in a roll, its only about ??3 a throw, when i get mine back from 250BOB's house i'll get a photo of the packaging so you know what to look for!

• 2 years later...

has anyone got a video of the full range of sounds the swd 40 can produce. i like it but ive not heard one thrash fully yet, also does it have notching.

i love the hows sound too, but i have a lot of 40s and want some variety.

cheers rob

Archived