Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

.....sorry to go back to the starfish but can you tell me who manufactures the 3 link couplings and more importantly the hooks you use. The hooks appears to have a larger 'mouth' than some I've seen before and whilst my eyesight is reasonable I'd like to avoid automatic couplings on my layout if possible

I used Smiths hooks and links with the instanter links from Ambis. The hooks are massively overscale but to me are a good compromise for an exhibition layout. With a properly shaped shunters pole you have a good chance of coupling up first time.

Cheers

David

Finally got to see the beastie and even better in the "flesh..." Very nice James.

The new stock is very tasty, shame I was unable to hang around longer.

Hope to catch the wee beastie again.

Sláinte

I used Smiths hooks and links with the instanter links from Ambis. The hooks are massively overscale but to me are a good compromise for an exhibition layout. With a properly shaped shunters pole you have a good chance of coupling up first time.

Cheers

David

Thanks for the clarification......I'll give them a try.

Thanks

Good to see the conversation has moved on from my rusty starfish :laugh:

Your Starfish was still being discussed at Manchester. Some folk want one just like it :O

Excellent modelling and attention to detail as always James. I always view your work as the benchmark I have to reach to become a proper P4 modeller.

Very kind of you to say so. It does sound a bit Gilbert & Sullivan though: "He is the perfect picture of a proper P4 modeller."

;)

Edited by Wizard of the Moor

Finally got to see the beastie and even better in the "flesh..." Very nice James.

The new stock is very tasty, shame I was unable to hang around longer.

Hope to catch the wee beastie again.

Good to meet you at last and hopefully not too long until next time.

Visting stock and operators are always welcome...

Still waiting for a couple of confirmations for 2013, Martin. The next firm date is Scalefour North in Wakefield next April, and a trip north of the border is a possibility :)

Jamie, I hope that is a mistake! You are booked for the Ebor Group exhibition on 23 - 24 February 2013 and I'm down to assist you with operation - which I am looking forward to.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

Still waiting for a couple of confirmations for 2013, Martin. The next firm date is Scalefour North in Wakefield next April, and a trip north of the border is a possibility :)

Excellent - I'll look forward to seeing it in Wakefield. I have seen it before somewhere (Leatherhead probably), but it seems to have come on a bit since then. Top notch weathering!

• 4 months later...

Waterloo Street is heading back out on the road in 2013.

CoverShot.jpg

First up is the Ebor Group of Railway Modellers show in York on February 23rd and 24th.

Then there will be Scalefour North in Wakefield on April 20th and 21st. I'll admit to a conflict of interest here, as I am now (more!) involved in the organisation of this show.

Finally for this year, you can catch up with me at the Cleveland MRC exhibition in Redcar on August 3rd and 4th.

There's not a lot to report on the modelling front. Hopefully posting these deadlines will give me a bit of a shove to finish that rake of Covhops that was meant to be ready for Manchester last year... :paint:

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The Ebor Group show was a really nice weekend. It was great to spend some time just playing trains without many of the usual distractions of a bigger exhibition.

2013024_EGRM_D3211.jpg

First up, a new addition to the fleet. D3211 is a Hornby model, renumbered with Cambridge Custom Transfers and Shawplan builder's plates. Laserglaze has also been fitted. Still a bit to be done on the weathering and detailing, but she's getting there.

The strange silver projection above the cab is my pointblade gapping gauge, being used to try and fine tune a turnout.

20130224_EGRM_D5366_08402.jpg

A little later in the day and D5366 waits by the Tarry Brig for a return working back to Kittybrewster yard.

There's a nice view of the real Tarry Brig here for anyone unfamiliar with the Waterloo branch.

20130224_EGRM_24t.jpg

At the end of the day, a rake of empty minerals have been left by the scrap loading dock.

Corner.jpg

Finally, a small milestone in that the last bit of temporary senic work done 5 years ago(!) for the layout's first showing has been replaced with something marginally better.

The real Tarry Brig on Castle Terrace, Aberdeen seems to have been realigned some time around WWI. In doing so, a flight of stairs was put in to preserve the public access to this end of Bannermill Street. I've now put in a representation of this feature, with some walls and railings to keep deter the local loons from trespassing on the tracks. Security gates for the nameless industrial works are still needed. Don't hold your breath for another 5 years...

Many thanks to Paul Bartlett for operating and sticking strictly to the 4 engines in steam rule, and to Jim Whitehead for the pictures.

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Some regular Waterloo Street watchers will know that, like Spike's

, this post has been a long time comin'.

It's shocking just how long it's been. Back in 2000 I answered a call on the E4um mailing list for expressions of interest in a Covhop kit. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

13 years and about one hundred hours of effort later, just in time for Scalefour North, the first shipment of fertilizer ingredients to the Scottish Agricultural Industries plant on the Waterloo Quayside waits to be shunted into the yard.

IMG_1358.JPG

As the kit only covers the unfitted version of the wagons, I decided to make one CHO and 3 CHPs with my usual mix of detail differences to keep the shunting inspectors happy. Following the sage advice from WaveyDavey, vacuum pipes are absent so as not to intefere with 3 link couplings.

IMG_1360.JPG

The CHO, built basically straight from the kit. The excellent Cambridge Custom Transfers (Sheet BL35f) show up well, although I did struggle to get the black backgrounds cobbled together from other sheets, not having thought ahead far enough to order a sheet of plain black material. Live and learn...

IMG_1366.JPG

The complex shape and construction shows up well in a three-quarter view. It's the little things like the lever guard being properly mounted to a bracket on the solebar that make me happy.

IMG_1364.JPG

The roof is perhaps the weakest area of the kit. The hatch clamps are not supplied or even mentioned in the instructions, which is a bit naughty in my opinion. It would have been simple to provide the bars as etchings, even if the builder is expected to provide tube and wire to represent the screws.

No mention, either, of the 4 handles around the edge of each hatch. More excusable, as these don't appear on the drawings in Rolling Stock Worth Modelling. Given the usual angle of photos, it's difficult to see them at all. It was only when peering into the Bachmann display case at the recent York show that I became aware of them. After that, they jumped out of nearly every Covhop photo at me. Just goes to show that it's very difficult to see what you're not expecting. It would also have been much easier to fit them before the construction of the wagon was complete :(

This view also shows how the etched walkway supports don't come close to fitting in the holes moulded for them in the resin body. Shrinkage is the enemy of multimedia modelling.

IMG_1362.JPG

A CHP with roller bearings and long 2 rib buffers. A light salt mask weathering with a mucky wask on top and a touch of pigment.

IMG_1368.JPG

Another CHP with different bearings and Oleo buffers. UIC screw-link couplings from Ambis are fitted. The brakes look like they need adjustment!

These were not easy kits to build. Having said that, all of the etched components went together perfectly, and it would be nice to think that the underframe could be made available for upgrading the Bachmann models. The resin bodies were nothing but trouble. The halves didn't match up and some needed 0.5mm of packing to match the other half. Filling and sanding seemed to go on forever, and the scars still show. Trying to hide them with weathering just seems to highlight other problems. Ho hum.

So, was it worth it? Absolutely. Even though the forthcoming Bachmann model looks very nice, and will certainly be cheaper, the satisfaction of building unique models wins every time for me. Having said that, some of the fitted versions might be acquired if they are amenable to P4 conversion.

• Like 15

Guest oldlugger

Very nicely built and detailed wagons James. They compliment the layout perfectly!

All the best

Simon

Looking forward to playing with them this weekend, they look wonderful! I was expecting an attempt at this 'weathering' http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcovhop/ede3c31e http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcovhop/e1098151d it really shows off the unusual painting of these wagons, which was to give an extra undercoat - grey/red/grey or red/grey/red (as these, as they are through piped).

What we now need with Waterloo St is some firm rules about which siding services which industry - I've looked at the real map and there was an awful lot going on behind the scenes.

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A selection of pictures of Waterloo Street at Scalefour North 2013 appear in the photographic retrospective of the show.

I should mention that the appearance of 08 546 and it's train was courtesy of John Chambers, and much of the other stock on display belongs to David Furmage.

While I'm at it, here's a plug for the Cleveland Club's show at Redcar on August 3rd and 4th.  Apparently there will be 12 impressive layouts and Waterloo Street. If you're there then stop by and say hello.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...