• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I've got a couple of volunteer operators for Showcase then. I'll put David down for a 6 hour shift on the Saturday, and Martin similar on the Sunday. I can just wiffle around and fetch the tea.

:D :D :D

Mark,

Thanks for your comments. I did try to say 'Hello' at Stafford last weekend, but an early exit to dodge the snow prevented it.

A sub-five-minute tweak, he said. Hmmm...

Just to prove that modelling does occasionally take place in the wilds of Waterloo Street, here are some pics of D5366 following Laserglazing, headcode replacement and some other mods.

IMG_1259.JPG

Yep, I haven't added the buffer beam pipes yet. The new headcodes are simply the most appropriate from the Heljan sheet.

Adding the nose door stays improves the look of the front end.

IMG_1260.JPG

Can anyone get the Heljan wipers to actually touch the screen when fixing them to the bodyshell?

I couldn't, so new etched ones were applied and secured with Klear.

IMG_1264.JPG

The Laserglase makes a big difference. Still got to sort out the frames for the cabside windows. And the buffers...

IMG_1265.JPG

The Extreme Etchngs fan and grille set is also well worth doing. It would have been much easier if I wasn't trying to preserve Max Stafford's rather nice weathering on the roof.

IMG_1263.JPG

Finally, a brake van to finish up the post. Bit of a Bradmann one this. Bachmann body on a Dave Bradwell chassis. New handrails from 10 thou brass rod and Masokits lampirons to replace the rather ill-defined originals.

Apologies for the somewhat gungey paintwork on the underframe. I built the Bradwell kit 10 years ago, and in my enthusiasm managed to trap the wheels and suspension in there. I didn't fancy gumming the whole lot up by spraying it with my airbrush, so carefully brush painted instead. By contrast, detailing the Bachmann body was very quick indeed.

Now I'm off on my travels again, so no further modelling for a while :(

• Like 12

5min for the end ones James :)

I'm (sort of) in the middle of re-doing mine with the Shawplan glazing. As yours shows, it's very effective, particularly makes a difference to the bodyside windows.

Looks great. Still biding my time waiting for a chance to see this bit of the 'deen.

Edited by Jamie

• 3 months later...

My goodness, doesn't time fly? It doesn't matter whether you're enjoying yourself or not, time's gonna fly right by you.

I've working on some bug fixes and some new stock for Waterloo Street in preparation for DEMU Showcase at the weekend. Bug fixes include some track renewal where it had got damaged at the baseboard joints and general tweaking of turnouts.

New stock includes a rake of Parkside 24.5t steel mineral wagons. I'm not sure if these will be in coal traffic or destined to head down to the shipbreaking yard as scrap.

20120530_24point5tonners.jpg

I originally intended to cut these down into MDVs, however the Finelines kit has taken care of that urge so I decided to build them as they are and try out some upgrades.

After careful perusal of Paul Bartlett's photos I decided to build three D1/115 examples and two of D1/118.

20120530_D115118.jpg

D1/115 have a single door banger spring for each door and various flavours of oil axleboxes. The D1/118 wagons have two springs per door and roller bearing boxes.

The shopping list included:

There's nothing complex about the construction, just putting it altogether. The main issue I had was that the Ambis lifting links didn't fit. The brake levers then had to be redrilled and filed back to suit - a most tricky operation when everything must be lined up and marked out when test fitted to the wagon. However, generous lubrication with cheap Spanish brandy helped it all go smoothly.

Some easier improvements inlcude replacing the end door handles with 0.2mm wire staples and making up the little safety loops that hang down from the brake cross-shaft below the push rods.

20120530_B282225N.jpg

Painting and weathering were also the opportunity to try something new. In this case the use of salt as a mask to creat rust spots, as described recently in MRJ. It certainly works well and is easy to do, but it is better suited to a light rusting rather than creating the end-of-life rust bucket look that Paul B has in his collections.

NB: Point lever removed for the sake of clarity!

Further weathering was with washes and MIG powders. I'll have to live with it for a bit before making my mind up if this is the way to go.

20120530_B283020.jpg

Transfers are by Modelmaster, with the yellow triangles by Cambridge Custom Transfers (will that soon be Cornish Custom Transfers?).

Some of the brake gear has got a touch of the Dali's. Not sure how that happened, either too much Butanone when glueing on the ABS bits, or too long sat in the sun while the paint was drying. Sigh...

Does anyone supply TOPS transfers for >16t mineral wagons (MDV, MDO, MEO)? These panels look OK, but don't show up in many pics.

Right, a little less waffle and a lot more weathering is needed before the weekend. I'll look forward to seeing some of you in Burton town hall. Please do say hello if you're passing: there will be some special guest operators on duty for the semi-finals of the Pro-celebrity 3 Link Swearathon :senile: :angel: :triniti:

• Like 13

My goodness, doesn't time fly? It doesn't matter whether you're enjoying yourself or not, time's gonna fly right by you.

I've working on some bug fixes and some new stock for Waterloo Street in preparation for DEMU Showcase at the weekend. Bug fixes include some track renewal where it had got damaged at the baseboard joints and general tweaking of turnouts.

New stock includes a rake of Parkside 24.5t steel mineral wagons. I'm not sure if these will be in coal traffic or destined to head down to the shipbreaking yard as scrap.

20120530_24point5tonners.jpg

I originally intended to cut these down into MDVs, however the Finelines kit has taken care of that urge so I decided to build them as they are and try out some upgrades.

After careful perusal of Paul Bartlett's photos I decided to build three D1/115 examples and two of D1/118.

20120530_D115118.jpg

D1/115 have a single door banger spring for each door and various flavours of oil axleboxes. The D1/118 wagons have two springs per door and roller bearing boxes.

The shopping list included:

There's nothing complex about the construction, just putting it altogether. The main issue I had was that the Ambis lifting links didn't fit. The brake levers then had to be redrilled and filed back to suit - a most tricky operation when everything must be lined up and marked out when test fitted to the wagon. However, generous lubrication with cheap Spanish brandy helped it all go smoothly.

Some easier improvements inlcude replacing the end door handles with 0.2mm wire staples and making up the little safety loops that hang down from the brake cross-shaft below the push rods.

20120530_B282225N.jpg

Painting and weathering were also the opportunity to try something new. In this case the use of salt as a mask to creat rust spots, as described recently in MRJ. It certainly works well and is easy to do, but it is better suited to a light rusting rather than creating the end-of-life rust bucket look that Paul B has in his collections.

NB: Point lever removed for the sake of clarity!

Further weathering was with washes and MIG powders. I'll have to live with it for a bit before making my mind up if this is the way to go.

20120530_B283020.jpg

Transfers are by Modelmaster, with the yellow triangles by Cambridge Custom Transfers (will that soon be Cornish Custom Transfers?).

Some of the brake gear has got a touch of the Dali's. Not sure how that happened, either too much Butanone when glueing on the ABS bits, or too long sat in the sun while the paint was drying. Sigh...

Does anyone supply TOPS transfers for >16t mineral wagons (MDV, MDO, MEO)? These panels look OK, but don't show up in many pics.

Right, a little less waffle and a lot more weathering is needed before the weekend. I'll look forward to seeing some of you in Burton town hall. Please do say hello if you're passing: there will be some special guest operators on duty for the semi-finals of the Pro-celebrity 3 Link Swearathon :senile: :angel: :triniti:

Those MEOs are lovely; takes me back to sitting on the sea-wall at Pwll, and watching trains of them going between Grovesend or Brynlliw and Carmarthen Bay Power Station back in the early 1970s. They often carried branding such as 'To Work to John Summers, Shotton' or similar. A few had the side doors plated over, with 'No Doors' prominent on the side.

The Modelmaster sheet 4854 has TOPS-style numbers, along with the pre-TOPS boxed style, for a selection of all three types you mention.

• Like 1

DEMU SHowcase saw some big engines working down the branch, courtesy of Waveydavey.

20120602_HooverYardPilot.jpg

Somebody turned the Yard Pilot selector up to 11. Once the pickups were connected it ran very well.

20120603_37149.jpg

37149 leaves on the last train of the weekend. Unfortunately Waveydavey's Starfish is just out of shot. It had been the subject of several admiring comments during the show.

Many thanks to Robert, Paul and David for operating, and especially for allowing me to borrow the ex-Longcarse stock again. I hope that a plentiful supply of Tunnock's finest was sufficient recompense.

My favourite comment received during the show was from an anonymous gentleman who opined, "This looks like a proper railway, not trains running through a #*^$%^# golf course!" :sungum:

• Like 11

Unfortunately Waveydavey's Starfish is just out of shot. It had been the subject of several admiring comments during the show.

Many thanks to Robert, Paul and David for operating, and especially for allowing me to borrow the ex-Longcarse stock again. I hope that a plentiful supply of Tunnock's finest was sufficient recompense.

Always willing to help out with stock shortages James. And getting to play with a properly thought out and extremely well built layout is a joy too. Quite unlike the few times I've had to operate Longcarse West due to having to let the operating crew have meal and toilet breaks.

The Starfish does seem to be a bit camera shy but I've managed to find a picture from Wakefield last year. Sadly it's the side where the decals got a bit out of shape when I did the weathering. It's supposed to be in Gulf Red, based on a picture of one at Kyle that I found on t'internet, but it looks more or less the same colour as my other bauxite stock. Enjoy.

post-7228-0-02915300-1338986988.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only just found this layout :O

So nice to stumble upon something through a link (MMRS exhibition) and then go back to the first post and read it through...armed with a cup of tea.

Terrific modelling...please keep them pictures coming :yes:

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments, it's very much appreciated. Having spent the weekend at Scaleforum operating on Colinton, I'm now looking forward to Manchester.

Those who like the pictures of 37 425 on the slurry tanks a while back may enjoy

Warning: Gratuitous large logo clag and general scabbiness. May cause frustration for users of sound chipped 37s. Watch out for the shopping trolley at 5:40 :)

There's yet another engineering possession at Waterloo Street this evening. Several loads of spoil are being taken away - the branch being in a deep cutting for much of its length is prone to landslips in the dampness of a Scottish summer.

IMG_0157.JPG

A motley collection of wagons has been pressed into service.

IMG_0154.JPG

A Lamprey built from the excellent Finelines kit. Bill Bedford sprung suspension and various bits of brass wire and strip to detail the brakes and footsteps were the only modifications made. A simple and satisfying build.

IMG_0171.JPG

A Glaswegian Grampus courtesy of the nice folks at Kirkcaldy. Masokits suspension this time, due to the simplicity of attaching clasp brakes.

IMG_0153.JPG

And a more locally based cousin. Trying to ring the changes in this rake with buffers and axleboxes. The Parkside kit as supplied is, I think, only representative of one lot of these wagons. Perusal of Mr Bartlett's photo collection shows the amount of variety to choose from. It's as well to arder a few spare sprues of steps and door bangers, as these have a lemming-like urge to leap from the edge of the workbench into the waiting carpet monster maw below.

IMG_0160.JPG

Bringing up the rear is a late BR standard 20t brake. This is a heavily modified Pocket Money Kit that hopefully illustrates a wagon from the final lot constructed. It was an epic this one. Trying to match the standard of RTR offerings sets a high bar (hybar?) to clear. Almost all the supplied castings were replaced - only the end weights and duckets being used, and the duckets nearly didn't make it! A good quantity of Miliput was needed to fair them into the bodyside. Oleo buffers, roller bearings and UIC couplings on an extended mount complete the picture. FInally, a use for the spare bits from Dave Bradwell's underframe kit.

One feature that I wanted to include is the footsteps cut into the inner planking of the veranda. I can't figure out the logic of which vans had these and which not. It seems to vary by builder, lot number and diagram. Some NER and LNER vans had them, so maybe it was a Shildon influence. On the model this meant building up the inner woodwork from Evergreen strip. Various repairs to cover up rotting planks are also in evidence. Some Archer rivet detail still needs to be done.

FInally, just because 3 link couplings under exhibition conditions don't give enough of an excuse to avoid eye contact with the punters, working door safety bars have been included. At least, they did work until I gunged them up with a wash of grime :( :( :(

Ho hum, having optimistically carved the safety bars off of some other van bodies in the queue, maybe I'll perfect the technique next time.

See you at the Manchester Show!

• Like 13

Good to see the conversation has moved on from my rusty starfish :laugh:

Excellent modelling and attention to detail as always James. I always view your work as the benchmark I have to reach to become a proper P4 modeller.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Great modelling...... I love the simplicity allied to the realistic decline in the wagon paintwork .....sorry to go back to the starfish but can you tell me who manufactures the 3 link couplings and more importantly the hooks you use. The hooks appears to have a larger 'mouth' than some I've seen before and whilst my eyesight is reasonable I'd like to avoid automatic couplings on my layout if possible

Thanks in advance