Rotary cutter

I bought one of these (for £4) thinking it would improve the quality of my cuts. So far no success. The blade just skitters across the paper and it is hard to keep it on track whilst holding a ruler. The only place I have been able to use it is on heavy card - after I have got about half way through with a knife. Any tips on how to make best use of it?

• RMweb Gold

Assuming you mean the one's with a fixed base and then a round blade in a carriage/caddy moving on a long bar I use them all the time with few problems for trimming photo prints.

The cutting edge needs to be a tight fit to the base and build quality and blade sharpness could be a factor there as £4.00 seems a bit cheap. Does the blade rotate freely on it's axle and look to have a good clean edge? Just a thought if the cutting wheel on yours has a faced edge has the blade caddy been put on the right way round?

To use

1) Put on firm table

2) place paper over the edge allowing for the fact the cut edge will be slightly off set as the blade has width. Obvious but have the big bit over the base - the small bit, even if it is the image, hanging.

3) Put one hand on the base to steady it and then use your other hand with a little bit of force on blade holder caddy and draw it firmly over the paper. (The hand pressure is why you take step (1)) Don't allow the blade to rotate away from the cutting face.

As I say I have two, an A4 capacity version bought from W H Smiths umpteen years ago and an A3 (labeled Tiger brand) and have no problem with either. Even though the WHS one has fallen on the floor umpteen times and had the bar and caddy come off and get replaced it still works provided there is some hand pressure applied as per step (3) above. It is one of those tools you just use instinctively as to the pressure required.

NB Edited reply

• RMweb Gold

This is like a pizza wheel. As John New says, the A4 fixed cutters are fine. I bought this alongside a compass cutter. Make by Jakar - also claims to cut freehand curves. I don't think I have got the hang of it.

Ah, my mistake. Interval in the cricket so just looked them up on line. Several youtube videos show them being used to cut cloth for quilting. In the clip she pushes it, whereas I would have probably tried to pull it, with the rolling bit just being a moving knife blade. Ruler used for straightness.

http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=1ebyZrgkIbk (NB Not sure if embedded youtube links are allowed or not on here so close the gap between com / to use the link shown)

Hi Blackbear -

Picking up on 'John New's post above, the demonstrator does state 'Never push the tool away' - always draw toward you.

However, I thik a more fundamental question is 'Why do you need to use this tool in particular?'. Would a Stalnely knife not be justb as practical - and probably easier to use?

Just asking

Regs

Ian

Archived