The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Post Office Track and Trace

Sailor Charon

What do I mean? Well, the last two things I've sent recorded delivery never got their status updated to 'delivered' and stuck at 'progressing through the system.' What's the point in having a mechanism for letting you see whether something's been delivered or not, if it doesn't actually work?

Same thing happened to me - the problem seemed to be that it was a big organisation (Volkswagen), so the letter must have gone to a post room (or whatever), but why shouldn't someone in that post room sign for it, and why was it passed on without a signature? (it did get to the right department). The letter sent at the same time to the dealer was signed for and tracked.

• RMweb Gold

I posted a cheque for a relative recently. She received a receipt from the business it was sent to in the post on 11th March.

The Post Office Track and Trace system claims to have delivered the letter containing the cheque on 14th March!

David

If the 'Track & Trace' website does not update to confirm that the item has been delivered then you are entitled to make a claim using form P58 [for a UK address].

This applies even if you know the item has actually been delivered.

I use the phrase 'I believe the item has been delivered but I cannot see confirmation of delivery on line even though I paid for Recorded Delivery'.

I normally wait a full month before claiming. Compensation comes in the form of a book of 6 x 1st Class stamps, 12 x 1st Class Stamps , or a cheque. The level of compensation seems to depend on the total amount of the postage paid.

Bearing in mind that the cost of the Recorded Delivery is 74p and the minimum value of the compensation in stamps is £2.46 [more after April] then the time taken in filling in the form and posting it off with the original receipt is worthwhile.The form is available from Post Offices or can be downloaded on line.

This year I have already received 5 books of stamps [ to add to the 30 I have in stock!].

At the moment Royal Mail seem prepared to pay this compensation rather than ensuring that all their staff fulfill the simple obligation of getting a signature.

John

I don't know which is worse:

Never having an update saying delivered yet is still gets delivered and signed for by the recipient

.. or ..

Having it marked up as delivered and yet the item never was delivered or signed for.

I have had several instances of both.

At least in the first case the item has been delivered so I consider the contract fulfilled.

in the second case you can argue with them all you like and they can produce "evidence" in the form of a squiggle (put in presumably by the postie) after they pocketed the item or lost it or dropped on the garden path.

Question: Why is it so useless?

Answer: Because it can be!

What motivation is there to do better? Only when there is no work left for them to do might they wake up.

As for a recorded delivery story. Wasn't there so they left a card. Sadly Lazy Postie couldn't be bothered to fill in the date on the card. No date means it cant be traced. Cue lots of time wasted on the phone going round in circles. End result? I have to go to the post office myself and find it! You couldn't make it up.

Me, i like UPS and TNT. Soon as one of these takes over the better.

I usually send by Special Delivery. Haven't had a problem. Yet.

I used to, and will probably start doing it again. The main thing about special delivery is that it doesn't get mixed in with the normal post. Plus I would imagine they're a bit more strict about getting signatures.

As for UPS, I prefer FedEx to be honest. If only because, unless things have changed again, UPS stopped their drivers collecting any import fees.

Which reminds me of one thing about the N Gauge Society shop, they don't like receiving post they have to sign for. Which means that until they get secure online ordering up and running...

Question: Why is it so useless?

Answer: Because it can be!

What motivation is there to do better? Only when there is no work left for them to do might they wake up.

Me, i like UPS and TNT. Soon as one of these takes over the better.

When it,s £1 to send each xmas card you may change your opinion,foreign takeovers of British companies always work out helping the British public!

As a postie,you dont have to tell me that the recorded delivery service is poor however posties guard special delivery items with their lives (and jobs) so I would scrap the recorded delivery service,after all,you only get what you pay for.

Motivation! after the winter most of Britain had,you want us to do better,we were delivering by foot to houses where the owners couldnt get to work because it was snowing!!!!

Archived