Today I are mostly building trees

Being a parsimonious pensioner, I would rather my pitiful amount of left-over income went to the Wine Society rather than Woodland Scenics.

So I set to and managed to create the small copse pictured below at the approximate cost of 5p per tree.

(all I have to do now is create a layout to plant them in...)

If there is any interest, I can do a quick illustrated walk-through.

ATB

Shaun.

Tutorial added further down the line...

post-8247-0-72280100-1300617625_thumb.jpg

OK - not too sure if I should post my 'tutorial' here or somewhere else on the forum, so apologies if I'm doing things wrong!

I've rescaled the pics to 800 x 600 to cut down load time.

I start my trees by using heather stalks or twigs gathered during a dog walk - cost nothing and I get the benefit of exercise as well.

post-8247-0-89756800-1300622965_thumb.jpg

post-8247-0-61915500-1300623110_thumb.jpg

quick spray with grey primer from a car-boot rattle can (25p)

post-8247-0-08143700-1300623063_thumb.jpg

post-8247-0-59045100-1300623132_thumb.jpg

Liberally cover the branches of your embroyo trees with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water. (10ml PVA from a half gallon - cost, 10p?)

Household management recently renewed some pillows - one of the old ones yielded more polyfibre than you could shake a stick at.

I pulled out a small quantity, and teased it out as fine as possible (cost - nothing)

post-8247-0-20228400-1300623292_thumb.jpg

Wrap spiders webs of poly-fibre around your sticky heather branches and put aside to dry.

post-8247-0-93199300-1300623656_thumb.jpg

When they were dry, I lightly sprayed each tree one at a time with green paint from another car-boot rattle can (British racing green, not that it matters) (25p).

While still wet and sticky with the paint, I liberally sprinkled the tree with a load of different types and colours (browns, greens, yellows) of scatter - some are proprietry, most are home made from old sponge, PVA, and acrylic paint all thrown into an unwanted food blender (that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean). I digress.

Shake off the loose scatter, put aside to dry and move on to the next one.

post-8247-0-53012400-1300624149_thumb.jpg

When all the trees are complete, I give them another spraying, this time with Dulux matt varnish from a large aerosol can that I got from the local 99p store (cost...)

before the varnish is dry a sprinkle of brown scatter for dry leaves, or yellow/red for blossom or fruit - choice is yours really.

There you have it. They don't stand up to close scrutiny, but from 3 - 4 foot away they pass muster.

Hope this helps!

Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

Your post has come at just the right time as my son and I need to make a large number of trees to 'bulk out' a small wood.

Good point. The OP modestly suggests his products may not bear too much close scrutiny, but as the basis for a patch of woodland, maybe with a few premium trees in the foreground, they are just admirable. The eye will take in the detailed trees and "assume" the rest are the same. Great idea!

Hi Shaun

Thanks for posting the photo of your watermill in the Scalescenes thread; a very natural looking scene. I love the well-worn path to the mill from the far side of the bridge.

Since I first saw this thread I've been walking around mainly looking at the ground - I've turned up some nice looking bits of cotoneaster which are safely stashed in the bits box. Now to find an 'old' pillow; hmmm... :secret_mini:

Cheers

Phil

Archived