Maunsell push pull

musky

Has anybody ever converted a Hornby Maunsell coach into a push pull? Looking at the photo & drawing in An Illustrated History Of Southern Coaches it looks fairly straight forward,but previous experiences prove this is not always the case.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Gold

At best you are only going to manage a representative pull-push (SR put the term that way round for some reason!) because the original SR Diagrams that were converted - 2005 and 2403, have not yet been produced by Hornby. The Second Open looks nothing like any Hornby product, being a saloon of course, rather than a corridor/compartment vehicle. The BCK is perhaps easier to accept, being superficially similar to the Hornby High-Window BCKs, although Hornby's use the earlier window design.

I believe there are plastic kits that may be a better starting point than the Hornby offerings, and may not be very different in price.

I haven't even considered it, for two reasons. First, it seems that they always ran with the accompanying open third (which isn't available RTR), which creates one problem though there are ways around that. Second, and more awkward, is that Maunsell coaches were not all the same: the push-pull trailers were of a later pattern (generally referred to as '1935' type) which have windows that are noticeably more flush and with rounded corners rather than square. The third picture down in this link shows this fairly clearly:

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/maunco03.html

Branchlines used to produce a conversion with etched sides for the Kirk Maunsells I think to that might be one route?

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Bill,

As far as I can remember you will need a Kirk Maunsell open 3rd and another 57ft Maunsell (Hornby or Kirk kit) although I suppose either would do, as the sides will need replacing.

I saw some Kirk kits for sale on the Coopercraft stall at a show last autumn (certainly the kit for the open as I bought one). As I understand it, Coopercraft have bought some of the Southern range from Colin Ashby (who bought them from Ian Kirk!). look here for contact details though you won't find any in the lists (I think he only keeps a few) . You can but ask.

Then you'll need the Branchlines etched brass conversion kit which is still available, I believe, from Brian Osborne the 'new' proprietor. In fact he also may have the Kirk kits again. E-mail him for his PDF file price list address here

Bill Bedford also does a sides only etch which you could probably use on a Hornby conversion.

Hope that this helps.

Branchlines conversion kit.

post-6728-0-76701800-1300627124_thumb.jpg

Kirk open 3rd kit.

post-6728-0-73710300-1300627210_thumb.jpg

Bil Bedford sides etch only. BCK3030S/4 (Diag D.2005 TO)

post-6728-0-42743800-1300627254_thumb.jpg

BSL/Phoenix produced the Maunsell driving trailer and open third trailer for many years. The open third even has the pressed recessed doors, so the awkward part is already done. For those not in the know, they are in pressed aluminium with cast ends and ali clip on roof and the whole shebang can be glued together with Evostick. Not sure now but I think they used to come with etched panels to glue over the unused toilet windows as on the real thing. For bogies, I recommend Bachmann SR 8'.

The firm also produced the Ironclad conversions too. Not sure if they are still available.

I adapted the Kirk kits - the open second is easy but the brake composite took a bit more modification, including scratchbuilding the driving end. It's not 100% accurate but close enough for me.

BSL/Phoenix produced the Maunsell driving trailer and open third trailer for many years. The open third even has the pressed recessed doors, so the awkward part is already done. For those not in the know, they are in pressed aluminium with cast ends and ali clip on roof and the whole shebang can be glued together with Evostick. Not sure now but I think they used to come with etched panels to glue over the unused toilet windows as on the real thing. For bogies, I recommend Bachmann SR 8'.

The firm also produced the Ironclad conversions too. Not sure if they are still available.

Possibly, still available from the Southern Railways Group, at a pretty good price, an'all.

Scroll down to bottom of page.

You'll need Diag. 2407, Driving Brake Compo, Product Code SC20 .& Diag. 2023 Open Second, Product Code SC21A.

http://www.srg.org.u..._history_01.htm

Archived