Detailing a hornby rebuilt merchant navy class

Possibly the most comprehensive range of Rebuilt "MN" detailing parts is the range developed by the late Albert Goodall, and now controlled by his widow Shirley. Best bet is to catch it at certain shows, e.g. Woking, or Tolworth, as Mrs. Goodall doesn't do mail order.

HI

Have you looked at fox Transfers ,they do a range of brass name plates and have you thought about changing the front pony wheels with some Alan Gibson one’s (To get rid of the steam rollers that Hornby put on) make a big difference to the look of the model .

Putting a crew into the model (Dart casting do a very good range) real coal in the tender, Route disks, the round white ones, the best one I have found are from mainly trains, if you have a look at my layout on here you can see what I mean as I have done my West Country using all these parts. (Torrington)

And giving the model some weathering ,I would suggest you get hold of a book called the ; The Art of Weathering Martyn Welch and if you do decide to weather your loco ,work from real photo not what you think it looks like .

Adding real screw links to the loco front end is a nice torch to do.

Darren

Etched nameplates, if you have US Lines, the emblem is wrong an the Hornby model, it was changed in 1951. Mine are from ModelMasters. As has been said, the bogie wheels could do with replacing. Route discs from Roxey Mouldings, these are the ones that Mainly Trains supply. Most of my loco crews are from Masterpeice Falcon Figures( no website). Real coal in the tender and a dose of weathering. If you want a recently outshopped loco, just use weathering powders.

Archived