Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GM facility Longport

rob D2

It's what used to be the covered part of the old Longport Full-Loads Terminal; it was virtually the last 'traditional' freight terminal to remain under railway ownership. I worked there for a bit, back in the winter of 1979-80- I hope they've done some work to close it in a bit. My recollection is that the gable ends were only sheeted from apex to gutter level, whilst the sheeting on the sides came down to about wagon floor level. The tracks were arranged with one track, a roadway, two more tracks, and a second roadway- all were spanned by a gantry crane, which I think could lift ten tonnes. I should imagine this has been retained.

Non whatsoever...beleive me.!!!!

There was much more when it was a goods depot; when I was there, we had four-wheel and bogie ferry wagons arriving daily, along with various different steel-carrying types, china-clay opens, vans loaded with Guinness etc. It had it's own 08 duty, and a couple of trip workings from Stoke Down Yard and Cockshute every day. The original North Staffordshire Railway goods shed, next to the station platform, used to have a regular van train as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just wondering what this facility looks like/does - is there any modelling potential ?

Only if you go back as far as when the level crossing was still there and the 'D' Road wasn't. The old goods shed and offices would make a nice subject, built/extended in at least 3 parts, timber, blue brick and red brick. Some good shots of that on Google if you go onto the road on the down side.

Archived