Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

I think there's every chance that the year could be 2015. In fact I'd like to think for your sake that it is.

You've laboured long and hard over the past five years - your figure - and you deserve to see the benefit from it sooner rather than later even if you just lay one circuit and run the same train around. I'm sure that will serve to give you one heck of a boost and enable you to finally be able to show Mrs. S that there is something in this modelling hobby other than frustration and trips to the tip/cash machine.

I know your enjoyment comes from track building and you are racing ahead at a cracking pace. I just hope your enthusiasm for the layout does not evaporate when faced with all the ballasting and colouring.  I mean this sincerely, as I suspect we have similar tendencies at times.

Certainly looks very smooth to me Gordon. Currently planning a gradient of my own, but in a smaller space, and as my woodwork isnt a patch on yours I am looking at the Woodlands Scenics incline kits.

Talking of little white balls, I've just taken up golf too, but as I am still at the 'driving range and pitch & putt' stage, I wont trouble you for advice on that!

That's exactly how I did my gradients years ago Gordon, using risers screwed to crossmembers at different heights. At the time I used 1/2" chipboard and not nearly as neat as yours, but it has stood the test of time in my attic, and I'm sure my gradients are steeper. Indeed a friend of mine recently brought a Hornby A4 to show me and on trial it would only take 5 coaches without slipping on my layout. . BUT what I have done each time I've acquired an engine, I have usually added lead weights superglued in wherever, often casting lead in copper tube for the boiler, Sometimes removing the DCC gubbins to free up the room . I have 3  A4s, 3 A3s, 1 Bachman A1, all so treated and all will handle 13 Mk 1s easily. Of course some  are ok like white metal kit built, like my DJH A1, and a Bachman K3 surprisingly sure-footed as bought. Their 2-8-0 austerities are'nt quite so good but reasonable. I realise it's more difficult if you're DCC as you cant very will move the DCC stuff out of the boiler space.

By the way I am another follower of your escapades, and admire your workmanship. 00SF and your trackwork looks brilliant, I am a definite convert if I ever build any more points.

Keep going at it please.

Regards, Roy.

• Like 1

Hello,

Just a thought regarding inclines. If you have a train that struggles up any of the inclines could you not introduce a banker.Using dcc locos in such a manner would surely introduce quite a bit more operating interest. The real railways certainly managed it.

trustytrev. :)

I keep getting the emails to advise that there's been another posting on the Eastwood Town thread and I get ever so excited when I see it’s a message from Gordon, has he started on the Bastille terminus yet? .... Nope, not today but I know it playing on Gordon’s mind!

Just playing with you Gordon, it been a real pleasure to watch your build over the years and I've felt for you when its gone wrong or the ill health that your experienced a couple of years back. I've really enjoyed your tutorials they've been very educational, well at least to me they have and, as I say, I've felt for you when it’s gone wrong and been amazed with the determination to get it back on track. And of course I've laughed with you when you realized you’d been sold Aussie track!

So, almost into the final push … you’ve got 66days to prepare for the Easter Special (as usual single line working due to engineering works)…. will it run? and what should pull it? since there are gradients involved perhaps it should be a diesel (Deltic maybe) for the outward bound, no disappointment with getting stuck on the gradient and everybody gets to the seaside, we can use a kettle (the 9F that you converted a while back - plenty of weight) for the return trip.

Good luck

Ian

Hi Gordon, the build gets better and better and I can't wait to see the first train run round Eastwood. As regards to the gradients have you considered using DCC Concepts Powerbase to solve possible problem with train length. It seems the ideal solution especially while you are still in the track laying stage. It seems such a simple solution, steel plates ander the track and magnets fixed to the locomotives.

http://youtu.be/cTMGB9plu4c

• Like 1

Just logged in and surprised/pleased to see some new postings this morning!

Dseagull.  That a voice from the past!  How's life with you?  Still down Brighton way?  Visits to the driving range is a great way to start golf, but try and get a lesson or two up front otherwise bad habits will easily take over and it's much harder to change something that has become ingrained.  Be careful though, golf is addictive...

Roy@34F.  Lead in loco's is a great solution but some way away just yet.  All my DJH loco's are packed away and waiting to come out and play.  Funnily enough they are well wrapped up, but I have this recurring nightmare that the tissue/kitchen roll they have been wrapped in, damaged the paintwork.  I'm pretty sure they are wrapped in acid free paper, but somehow these thoughts creep into your head in idle moments.  Here's a few of pics of what might appear one day...

post-6950-0-05279800-1422518720_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-94835300-1422518733_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-36884000-1422518749_thumb.jpg

Trustytrev.  Banking is certainly a possibility, although the sight of an A3 or A4 with just seven coaches struggling up a slope would be sacrilege….:-)

Ian H.  Bastille?  Don't go there….:-)  

Easter specials?  I like the sound of that one.  Could it be done?  Depends…….

Highlandman.  I saw the Powerbase set up a few weeks back and was impressed with the video.  Each gradient is 3m and there are 8 tracks, so I would need to look at the cost.  It would mean lifting the track I have just laid, but that's not the end of the world.  Hopefully when I get one circuit working I will be able to see if 1:75 is a problem.  My gut feel is that it will be fine, but time will tell.

Thanks for all your input, guys.  It's great to know people are reading my ramblings...

I must banish the thought of Bastille completely, but it would make a neat surburban terminus down the middle of the room….

• Like 12

No, no, no. Forget the terminus in the middle of the room(well, for now at least), and you have a deadline now. We want to see a circuit built and a train running a full loop before b#@£dy Easter.

Looking outside the window at the weather, looks like more chance of layout work, less of the little white balls?

• Like 2

Okay, I promise not to mention Bastille again unless you do ................... How about "Gare de la 14 juillet"? :no:

Forgot to ask, did you build those DJH locos yourself, I really like "The Territorial Army" smashing paint job too.

Edited by Ian_H

Looking out the window now and it's blue skies and sunny…No sign of bad weather.  Yet……….

Don't worry, Bastille is banished from my thoughts.  Keep taking the pills….

Looking out of our window, all I see is a gritting lorry getting stuck! What do you expect, it was a woman driver.

Okay, I promise not to mention Bastille again unless you do ................... How about "Gare de la 14 juillet"? :no:

Forgot to ask, did you build those DJH locos yourself, I really like "The Territorial Army" smashing paint job too.

No, 'fraid not. They were all built and painted by Graham Varley of Ely. Before I retired I was lucky enough to have a good job and was able to commission Graham to build them for me. As I've been retired seven years now, it must have been over 10 years ago and to date they have probably run less than 10' each…….

I suspect I will have to open them up and clean and lubricate them before running, but the build quality is excellent, so perhaps not. They are all DJH kits with Comet chassis and Markits/Romford wheels, hence my interest in 00-SF to run RTR and DJH stuff through the same pointwork. Add to that some diesel conversions with Ultrascale's and you can understand my choice of track standard.

I have around 20 of them in various classes/specs and hopefully they will all run in anger some time this year.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 10

No, 'fraid not.  They were all built and painted by Graham Varley of Ely.  Before I retired I was lucky enough to have a good job and was able to commission Graham to build them for me.  As I've been retired seven years now, it must have been over 10 years ago and to date they have probably run less that 10' each…….

Small world. Graham is a fine all-rounder being a damn good builder who could also turn his hand to painting. At one time I think he wanted to concentrate on building, hence I got the paint jobs as well as one of his spare draughtsmans ruling pens. His loss - my gain and much appreciated.  

• Like 5

Maybe you painted them Larry and I didn't realise at the time. Either way, they are very, very good.....

Do you recognise any of them? I'm guessing it would be 2001/2/3/4 or so. I have the receipts somewhere, so could be more exact...