Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Apologies, it's another language.  

On our course a scratch golfer would go round in 70 shots in total.  35 for the front nine and 35 for the back nine.  With a handicap of 15.7, I would be expected to go round in 70+16=86.  With me so far?

I managed to play the front nine in 37 shots.  With my handicap of 16, I would have got 8 shots, so should have taken 35+8=43.  Going round in 37 was the equivalent of a scratch golfer having six birdies on the first nine holes, so pretty special.  

Needless to say the opposition in our match were very appreciative of my score as they were five down after seven holes….. :wild:

Gordon

I think your friends must think you are a  :triniti: . Having said that having been nearly as good its great when you have a day when everything goes for you.

At my first club most of the handicap competitions were won by rabbits (golfers who had a handicap between 12 and 22), simply on their day they could go round the course 8+ shots below their handicap, equally when things go wrong they can shoot 20+ over their handicap. Where as the lower handicap golfers tend to play closer to their handicap on a regular.

Once I was playing in a handicap board competition, on the first hole I found the greenside pond and ended up with an 8 on the card. Thinking my round was blown I relaxed  and rather than thinking about trying to win the competition played for the fun. Now as I was marking a friends card who I thought was in with a shout of winning, I was playing myself quite well and must have had a blinder on the back nine, as my friend at the end of the round who was marking my card said well done you must be in with a shout. Totting up my own score without realising it I had a lower score than his and actually won the competition. As they say there are no pictures on the score card and on the board my name but no mention of being in the pond on the first

FORGOT to say WELL DONE

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I went for a round with friends on the Eden Course at St Andrews when I was at uni. It was my first ever round on a "proper" (full-length) golf course. I was in three figures by the end of the 12th. My lost balls (gorse bushes) were approaching double figures. It was suggested after the 15th that I maybe just walk the last three holes...

Not familiar with the courses at St Andrews. But I did once try a round at Moffat. On top of a hill, when there is a light breeze in town it's blowing hard up there. Many of the holes have a large, thick clump of gorse before you even reach the fairway from the tee. I did not do well!

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, it's another language.  

On our course a scratch golfer would go round in 70 shots in total.  35 for the front nine and 35 for the back nine.  With a handicap of 15.7, I would be expected to go round in 70+16=86.  With me so far?

I managed to play the front nine in 37 shots.  With my handicap of 16, I would have got 8 shots, so should have taken 35+8=43.  Going round in 37 was the equivalent of a scratch golfer having six birdies on the first nine holes, so pretty special.  

Needless to say the opposition in our match were very appreciative of my score as they were five down after seven holes….. :wild:

I'll tell you one thing Gordon - that makes most Signalling Regulations look to be the epitome of simplicity  :jester:

• Like 4

What I find interesting is what some people find facile and other find difficult or almost impossible.

I can hear a song and without listening to it again can sit down with a guitar and work out what was played from the melody in my head - on the other hand I find electrical theory to be a thing of mystery - believe me I’ve tried to understand it.

The first time I tried Golf (after an allnight party) I got the ball on the green with the first bounce - I did go downhill from there......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I'll tell you one thing Gordon - that makes most Signalling Regulations look to be the epitome of simplicity  :jester:

First mistake.  If ever I get that far, Mike, you and one other will be in the frame to help out with signalling advice….:-)

Home's and Distant's are very much black art territory for this urban warrior.

Just as an aside, I did mail you a while back re the single slip you were looking for.  I still have two sitting here if they are needed.  Maybe my mail disappeared into the ether, or your requirements have changed….

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First mistake.  If ever I get that far, Mike, you and one other will be in the frame to help out with signalling advice….:-)

Home's and Distant's are very much black art territory for this urban warrior.

Just as an aside, I did mail you a while back re the single slip you were looking for.  I still have two sitting here if they are needed.  Maybe my mail disappeared into the ether, or your requirements have changed….

Sorry Gordon - I thought I'd replied but then all went dead - I have a nasty feeling it might have joined the ranks of a number of emails which, known only to AOL, have never reached my computer or got very far when leaving it.  The answer remains 'yes please'

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon, it's great to see ET progressing and you seem to be enjoying the journey. Re: the photos, I have the same with Bacup and have considered the possibility of using a strategically placed mirror and then messing around with the image. Not sure if it will work but worth a try?

• Like 4

Thanks Jason, that would possibly work for photography, but it was more from an operators/spectators perspective that I meant.  Oh to be able to have a room wide enough for 3' clearance all round.  Not only for all the different viewpoints, but how much easier to build with 360 degree access…:-)

Jackie often watches 'Escape to the Country' in the afternoons and it's surprising how often country properties have these outbuildings/cellars/large loft conversions and my stock answer is always 'that would make a wonderful railway room'.  There was a place on a few days ago with a brick outbuilding that needed a bit of work on but it was something like 70' long and 20' wide.  Wonderful!

Interestingly enough I'm sure that the more space available, the less track you have, so you really can create long flowing curves and that illusion of a railway in the countryside.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

(Snip) There was a place on a few days ago with a brick outbuilding that needed a bit of work on but it was something like 70' long and 20' wide.  Wonderful!

Interestingly enough I'm sure that the more space available, the less track you have, so you really can create long flowing curves and that illusion of a railway in the countryside.

You would find the track plan you drew up really really needed 70'6" x 20'6"  ............

Looking forward to seeing videos of trains running, Gordon, can't be far off now.

Talking size of layouts etc., my ideal is a layout some 24ft x 12ft with just a single branch line running through scenery with no station or just a very small station with possibly a crossing loop. Sound's boring? Well, I like watching trains in their natural environment, there were a lot more miles of single track in the late 50's than double track and the older I get, the more I appreciate trains running at realistic speeds. So may be boring for others, but paradise for me!

Phil

• Like 4

Why is it the back of the layout offers the more interesting views?!! I turned Greenfield around........All 14 feet of it on one board.........Nearly crippled me.........Turned back again after a week. Interesting to see the quad-art set behind the N2. That really places the district. The layout is going to be quite something and what makes it different are the large radius curves and really spiffing pointwork.  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Why is it the back of the layout offers the more interesting views?!! I turned Greenfield around........All 14 feet of it on one board.........Nearly crippled me.........Turned back again after a week. 

Not that i've ever used one but the selfie stick could come in useful here? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selfie-Stick-Bluetooth-remote-Shutter/dp/B00R02K77W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424890123&sr=8-1&keywords=selfie+sticks

I'm guessing from the back of the layout, the set of quad arts curving away from you at a lower level brings back memories of the entry to KX that was shown so well in a 20 page supplement to Railway Herald issue 165.  As a trainspotter I can imagine sitting on a wall looking down on the trains below.  Did it so many times at Wood Green.  

Looking from the front changes the perspective completely.  I'd originally wanted to see trains pass without obstructions, hence the lower level at the front (inside of the layout).  It would be very tempting to reverse that design…..but I mustn't….:-)

If you loved KX and it's approaches and there are some wonderful photos of that area in the 60's in that supplement so well worth tracking it down.  I have a pdf copy of it and there used to be a link to a page where you could view it online.  Sadly that link is now dead and I would be concerned about posting it here for copyright reasons.

Ah, but you can't sit on a selfie stick and watch trains go by….

On a recent trip to Venice that is all we saw.  Every bloomin' street vendor was selling the damn things.

Funnily enough, I did think of trying to get a ticket to see my team (Spurs) at Wembley on Sunday.  This caught my eye on the Wembley site….

post-6950-0-01467300-1424891378.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

I imagine in a gathering they could cause problems if everyone is trying to use one. I have taken a selfie on the phone myself just last year. I sent the picture to Mrs LNERGE to let her know i was bearing up under the strain of testing the new token machine at Whitby. It took a couple of goes to get her favourite view of Whitby in the background...

Glad to hear you are enjoying this trip into the unknown.....:-)

No, it's a set of coaches I bought from Marc Models about 10 years ago. It was probably the most expensive purchase I've made, but at the time there were few, if any alternatives.

• Like 3