Peco PL13 Accessory switch

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone ever tried to replace a faulty one of these in situ.One of mine is tempermental when switching one way and I would like to have a go at replacing it.Its glued to the base of the point motor with all the wires soldered on to the connections.Shall I go for it ? :mellow: Its on a double slip too. :O

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't always click over to give me power.When its switched to go straight it works fine but with the point set the curved way my locos stall on the section.I've tried wiggling the PL13 and it does work occasionally so I'm pretty sure its the switch.

The switches are pretty simple just a wiper on a brass strip. They are pretty reliable when new and in regular use.

If the fault is with the switch doing what you have described (operating several times manually) usually cleans it up after a period of inactivity.

But what you describe is often down to either poor alignment of the whole point motor assembly or the switch not flat on the switch.

If the throw of the solenoid is being stopped early by the switch rail hitting the stock rail (it is out of alignment) then the wiper in the switch is prevented from traveling across to make contact and changeover.

The only remedy is to remove the whole assembly and remount it making sure that the switch is on the exact axis of the tie bar and that when the solenoid is in center stroke that the points are also held mid throw.

One other possibility is a poorly soldered joint (dry joint) on the switch - as this is easy to check I would redo this first.

• RMweb Gold

Quote'If the throw of the solenoid is being stopped early by the switch rail hitting the stock rail (it is out of alignment) then the wiper in the switch is prevented from traveling across to make contact and changeover.'Quote

I think youv'e hit the nail on the head there Kenton.It needs removing and starting again.

Archived