Hejan western tail lights

Charlie B

Hi,

I've recently bought the Heljan Western Firebrand and fitted the sound chip from South West Digital.

All seems well bar the red tail lamp.

The LED light is shared thouht a wide filter to both lamps.

With the body removed I have tried to adjust the LED to make it brighter but cannot chage its power.

Have you had a similar snag, I've tried the relevant CVs but I'm still stuck.

Regards

Charlie

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Pretty sure Westerns didnt actually have tail lights. They had a single red and a single white shunting light (which would be both on when shunting) but if the loco ran light it would carry an oil lap at the back. By the time they were blue they might have run with a single red tail lamp but as others have said if its bright enough to see it on the model in anything other than pitch black its too bright.

Be careful about worrying too much about something that actually makes the model look less realistic not more.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Yes you're right, I think it is an incandescent lamp which suffers from poor design.

However, it must have a CV to control its output.

Charlie

Hi,

unfortunatly if you are using the original Heljan pcb board then i'm guessing that the resistors that are in the lighting tracks on the board will be limiting the power getting to the lights.

I have the same problem with my Heljan 26 & 27's. the lighting is rubbish due to the design but they are prototipical in look.

It might be worth emailing Caroline and Steve at South west and asking what the light CV settings are and if they can be changed. If i get chance later i will dig out my loksound manuel and have a look.

what chip do you have V3.5 or a V4?? it should say on the crib sheet they sent you.

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hiya

Pretty sure Westerns didnt actually have tail lights. They had a single red and a single white shunting light (which would be both on when shunting) but if the loco ran light it would carry an oil lap at the back. By the time they were blue they might have run with a single red tail lamp but as others have said if its bright enough to see it on the model in anything other than pitch black its too bright.

Be careful about worrying too much about something that actually makes the model look less realistic not more.

Cheers

Jim

Exactly so Jim - they had white and red marker lights, not electric tail lights.

Well guys I guess we are all right, even Heljan.

If you adjust down CV 113, the head code at one end and the red marker lights at the other, dim together.

The same for the other end for CV 114.

Once you have turned the headcode down to a realistic level, the marker lights are dam near off.

It's a technical issue, it was built that way.

Thanks for you help.

Charlie

Archived