NRM April-May

LH&JC

That's actually for Scotsman! I heard that Tornado support's fancied a bit more of a change than just livery and are actually making a 2nd tender but with a riveted body this time! :P B) :D

Will be fantastice to see Scotsman and Tornado together, if only someone could borrow Blue Peter for a couple of days............:D

That's actually for Scotsman! I heard that Tornado support's fancied a bit more of a change than just livery and are actually making a 2nd tender but with a riveted body this time! :P B) :D

Will be fantastice to see Scotsman and Tornado together, if only someone could borrow Blue Peter for a couple of days............:D

Few days too late there mate :P.

Just send the runners to Barrow Road to have the A1-A4 lineup there..

• RMweb Gold

Rocket is working for the Easter Holiday and the runs give you an ideal chance to look at some of the detritus left from Jarvis' collapse over a year ago. Also I've never noticed that there are a small number of dilapidated steam era wagons & a Stanier tender tank in part of the yard. Back in the NRM itself Tornado now has her boiler back on, Flying Scotsman's tender is on all 8 wheels & there are some Japanese themed events going on.

http://www.flickr.co...57626275990375/

post-6756-0-95268800-1302613296_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

im coming up to see 103 at the end of may preveiw event, cannot wait!! :D

So am I!

Update time!

Dominion of New Zealand/Bittern is in the car park area of the NRM at the moment and she looks great! B)Tornado is coming together in the Works, Flying Scotsman's tender has been partially rubbed down & D6700 is running before Peckett 0-4-0 'Teddy' arrives. I haven't got a photo of it but Tornado's tender has had another coat of green so the lining & crests needs to be done again for some reason :blink:

post-6756-0-11554100-1303309724_thumb.jpg

Talking of the NRM it seems from press reports in the locality that NRM+ has been knocked on the head as the Museum failed to get some grant money it was after.

Reported in the press:

http://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/news/nrm-cancelled-after-funding-refused?showresults

Steve Davies is giving a talk at the club again next month (think he enjoyed playing trains too much last time :) ) so I might ask him about it then if he has time.

Personally im hoping it get reappraised in the future with the turntable kept and more done to transform "station hall" back to a goods depot where they could turn the lights back on and put the coaches somewhere else.. With freight such a big part of the railways and that building being a goods depot it seems a shame not to put those items in context.

• RMweb Premium

Reported in the press:

http://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/news/nrm-cancelled-after-funding-refused?showresults

Steve Davies is giving a talk at the club again next month (think he enjoyed playing trains too much last time :) ) so I might ask him about it then if he has time.

Personally im hoping it get reappraised in the future with the turntable kept and more done to transform "station hall" back to a goods depot where they could turn the lights back on and put the coaches somewhere else.. With freight such a big part of the railways and that building being a goods depot it seems a shame not to put those items in context.

That sounds far too sympathetic and sensible a treatment! What a radical and off the wall idea to use a goods warehouse as a museum of freight traffic on the railway. It really needs the insides ripping out, a freight wagon hanging from the ceiling and the floor covering with a paddling pool with toy boats in it to represent the link between our railways and waterbourne transport. Before anybody says anything I am not being serious but I think that Craig's would be a cracking good idea!

I am genuinely pleased that NRM+ has been scrapped and I hope it stays dead and doesn't re-appear when (if!!) the financial situation improves. I hope the sight of the locos lined up around the turntable is a sight that greets visitors to the museum for many years to come. To me, it IS York Museum and should never have been under consideration for removal and replacement.

It wasn't under consideration for removal and replacement, and I'm sorry you feel that way. It was a lot of hard work for many of us over the last 4 years and I spent most of the last 18 months working out conservation and restoration and movement plans for the vehicles that would have made the displays.

However, life carries on, and we've already got new ideas and plans - and hopefully, folks here will approve.

• RMweb Gold

I've added a few snaps from today featuring Teddy in steam, Flying Scotsman's tender does look a bit odd in black, but once some lettering is applied it'll look better. It's good to hear that you're working on new plans to develop the museum following the scrapping of NRM+. By the way, a bit off topic I know but does anyone know why Teddy has such small wheels?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamfj2/sets/72157626275990375/

post-6756-0-80841500-1303856178_thumb.jpg

It wasn't under consideration for removal and replacement, and I'm sorry you feel that way. It was a lot of hard work for many of us over the last 4 years and I spent most of the last 18 months working out conservation and restoration and movement plans for the vehicles that would have made the displays.

If you mean the turntable I know you weren't removing it but the plans did seem to have it covered over and not usable whereas it seems to be the big crowd puller everytime i'm in the NRM looking down from Search Engine.

Did the new plans include much improvement in the lighting of the Great Hall? My main gripe is that its normally dark and dingy on an overcast weekend due to most of the artificial lights being off and limited natural light getting in.

I realise a lot of work had gone into the plans and I certainly don't mean to criticize the staff who obviously but a lot of work into it. I just worry when museums seem to go more for the arty stuff over substance.

I look forward to your future plans anyway and at least the assets are always safe and secure whatever you plan.

Incidentally my informal cataloguing of some of the NRM Swindon stuff seems to be going down well with the diesel preservation movement who have had lists of drawings off me :).

However, life carries on, and we've already got new ideas and plans - and hopefully, folks here will approve.

In some ways, the loss of NRM+ is a great shame. I've no doubt as to the sincerity and determination of the museum staff to make the best of it. If you chaps want to do a whip around for the new half-roundhouse shed, I've a few spare quid sitting around that would only go towards beer money anyway...! ;)

That I think would be the best thing to come out of it - a proper roundhouse building and turntable for mainline and visiting engines, along with recreating the atmosphere of a real steam shed on the York site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Small scale update today, Teddy has been shunted into the Depot, Olton Hall has been moved outside, some painting and re-assembly of a diesel's transmission has gone on in the works oh and there's been some carry on about a loco in BR livery!

http://www.flickr.co...57626275990375

post-6756-0-02096300-1304946293_thumb.jpg

If you think Tornado looks good in green just wait until blue! :yahoo:

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure when Tornado is leaving the NRM, I know that she's booked to run on the NYMR later this month but apart from that I don't know. Aerolite was shunted back into the NRM, and is sat on the line that leads out of the Great Hall so Tornado may be on display for a couple of days, I'll see in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice shots. It'll be interesting seeing the Class 41 working from both cabs and out on trains.

The shunt to rearrange 'Station Hall' (urgh its a goods warehouse) should be fun to watch when it happens too! Not sure if i'm a big fan of putting the Royal Train in primary focus (Vive la Revolution and all that..) but the better entrance into there from the rest of the museum will be a good idea. New lighting too :yahoo:

I might pop in this weekend if the weather is good for some flying..

Archived