6023 KING EDWARD II

industrial

It looks as if the black line has still to be applied between the two white lines....

Hi,

If you click on the first picture in the thread to enlarge it, it looks like there's a black line there.

I could be wrong though!

Simon

I was there today for the grand unveiling ... it was an absolutely fantastic day, and it was good to see Didcot so well supported.

It was nice to ride behind the king, even for 1/2 mile. It was also good to hear that Didcot's future is fairly secure.

I saw this engine ... in 2007:

The way this project has progressed over the years still astounds me. It is one of the best stories in preservation: missing portions of driving wheels, due to being torched for removal, and various other components besides.

This, along with the superb Railmotor project, shows Didcot at the top of their game. Well done to all who've worked on them.

Indeed yes. My first viewing of the bits belonging to No. 6023 was in 1999. I'm glad the change I dropped in the chimney piggy bank back then went to such good use.

The BR blue livery is striking, as is the crimson lake for the steam railmotor. The Great Western Society is doing an outstanding job. Kudos to them. (Though of course I look forward to seeing 6023 and the railmotor in more familiar GWR liveries one day.)

I am very much looking forward to No '2999' Lady of Legend taking the rails one day and the return to steam of No 4079 Pendennis Castle.

I seen 6023 on saturday and she looked fantastic. The blue really works for me.

Tornado is supposed to be painted in blue some time in it's first ten years and there's is a phone poll going where you can vote for duchess of Sutherland to be painted in blue all though I think BR green is going to win.

Princess Elizabeth would look great in blue aswell.

As for the king I'm looking forward to the Severn valley autumn gala to be behind her storming up eardington bank.

I hope when they do repaint her they do it in the fully lined out frames and all 1930s style with shirtbutton the GW at it's zenith.

Guest dilbert

Would the blue colour have withstood the test of time better than Brunswick Green ? I must admit that I prefer the traditional GW colour, but interesting to note that none of the big Four went for blue in a big way ... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Would the blue colour have withstood the test of time better than Brunswick Green ? I must admit that I prefer the traditional GW colour, but interesting to note that none of the big Four went for blue in a big way ... dilbert

Apparently blue paint weathers very badly - something the Caley found out long before BR tried it as a livery in the early 1950s.

I visited Didcot on Friday for a night shoot, then back down again Saturday on the rail tour with 4965 & 5043 from Tyseley, two good days out, never seen the place as busy as Saturday. The King looks nothing short of superb, a few pics here if you are interested:

Mike

Apparently blue paint weathers very badly - something the Caley found out long before BR tried it as a livery in the early 1950s.

Not only Blue. All colours weather*. The bonus is, Green takes a little longer.

Any livery has to be attended to, beit with a mop + water (+ maybe soap), or an oily rag, or works applied varnish, or a patch / complete re-paint.

As always, time & cost are the limiting factors.

*Have you ever tried to prevent a Red Vauxhall Astra from fading to Pink ? :blink::D.

Regards.

Don't forget 60009 Horsetan! B)

I would really like to see Sutherland go blue and 46203 go green, that would make a fantastic line up!

I know there are quite a few of those who want to see Sutherland in blue or green. I'm one of those strategic voters and will be waiting till the last few days to catch out the green mob! B) :D

Not only Blue. All colours weather*. The bonus is, Green takes a little longer.

Any livery has to be attended to, beit with a mop + water (+ maybe soap), or an oily rag, or works applied varnish, or a patch / complete re-paint.

As always, time & cost are the limiting factors.

*Have you ever tried to prevent a Red Vauxhall Astra from fading to Pink ? :blink::D.

Regards.

As an owner of a 13 year old red Vauxhall Astra Estate, the colour has not faded to pink yet. The Norfolk beige (courtesy of our farming friends) tends to protect it from fading!

However thanks to all who provided the shots of a Blue King. I look forward to seeing it.

It is pretty well documented that the blue revealed a weakness in that it could not withstand rought treatment and faded so badly that it could not be retouched without showing. By contrast, green and black could be patch-painted more easily. Such a decision might not be necessary with todays paint technology?

It will be interesting to see if the 'King' ever has to be retouched while in blue and if the paint has faded. I well remember Rochdale's very attractive blue buses looking like a patchwork quilt after a few years.

Archived