Any old iron?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks,

More questions to tempt your memory cells.... When did corrugated put in an appearance? I'm considering making a goods shed that might have had a corrugated roof put on at some time in its life. Slates I can do-I think, but corrugate, not sure....

4 mill, BTW.

Regards,

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

From around 1875 on for wriggly tin. There are wills sheets that can be used I seem to remember some articles about thinning it down and overlapping them.

There are instructions on packaging that show you how to do this. It's really good stuff.

The Wills stuff is not that good - firstly, its noticeably overscale for 4mm. Secondly, I have yet to see a corrugated iron building with the sheets laid haphazardly at different heights as on the Wills sheets. Thirdly, the short layer should be at the top of the sheet, not the bottom.

This is one instance where I feel the Slaters product is better.

David C

• 3 weeks later...

The Wills stuff is not that good - firstly, its noticeably overscale for 4mm. Secondly, I have yet to see a corrugated iron building with the sheets laid haphazardly at different heights as on the Wills sheets. Thirdly, the short layer should be at the top of the sheet, not the bottom.

This is one instance where I feel the Slaters product is better.

David C

I beg to differ. Corrugated iron comes in many different sizes of corrugations, and the corrugations of the wills sheets are quite correct (I have compared with real buildings). The sheets are intended for building small, delapidated corrugated structures such as huts and farm buildings. There are many such buildings where the sheets are not lined up in perfect rows, due to replacement sheets being slightly longer, or reclaimed sheets being used.

If you have ever laid a corrugated roof you will know that unless you cut down the top row of sheets, the top row will always appear to be the "longest".

Slaters product is fine, I have used it myself, but is best suited to large buildings, where it is the overall size and shape that is important, not the level of detail required for a delapidated effect. The wills product includes detail such as bolt heads and individual sheet overlaps.

Scott.

Hello Folks,

More questions to tempt your memory cells.... When did corrugated put in an appearance? I'm considering making a goods shed that might have had a corrugated roof put on at some time in its life. Slates I can do-I think, but corrugate, not sure....

4 mill, BTW.

Regards,

Ian

Although it was patented in 1829 by Henry Robinson Palmer (the architect and engineer of the London Docks company)as a roofing material for warehouses using wrought iron, corrugated iron's first major use for a railway building may have been the large span of the Eastern Counties Railway Station in Shoreditch in the 1840s. It was then used for the largest single span overall roof of Liverpool Lime Street in 1850 closely followed by Birmingham New Street. Though complete buildings of corrugated iron were being exported from the 1840s I'm not sure when it started being widely used in that way by railway companies in Great Britain. The GWR introduced their pre-fabricated corrugated iron pagodas in 1904 but that was quite late in the story and well after Colonel Stephens and others.

A key player in the corrugated iron story was John Lysaght who had a galvanising factory in Bristol and started producing corrugated galvanised iron (CGI) in 1857. Partly thanks to the gold rush his company exported massive quantities of its product to Australia- often seen as the spritual home of corrugated iron- and later established a large works there. One interesting aside is that corrugated iron became well accepted by Australia's aboriginal people who saw it as "man-made bark which touches the earth lightly".

It's said that during the 20th Century corrugated iron sheltered more of humanity than any other material but for some reason its inventor, who was also one of the foundres of the Institute of Civil Engineers, seems to be better known for having invented the monorail in 1823 ("Description of a railway on a new principle") when he assumed that railways would be horse drawn affairs.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just obtained a sheet of Slaters 4mm scale wiggly tin for cladding large industrial buildings on my challenge layout.

I intend cutting the corrugated into standard size sheets and adding each sheet individually but can anyone tell me what the standard sheet size is please?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, in the latest Bylines, July, there are a couple of shots on pages 412/413 taken at Skinningrove Ironworks which nicely show large corrugated iron clad structures. They are neatly laid, minimal misalignment, though showing some wear and lifting at the ends. The panels are very narrow, I'd say 8ft. X 2ft.

Archived