Hornby Maunsells....close coupling

BlackRat

In the packet of close couplers (which are ideal) there are an additional 4 thing green (plastic?) strips.

Anyone know what they are for?

Obviously I have missed the obvious!:rolleyes:

They are the roof destination boards.

regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

In the packet of close couplers (which are ideal)

Swapping them for Kadee #18s, which plug in directly just like the Hornby offering, would bring them even closer, and mean the corridor connectors virtually touch on straight track, but don't risk buffer-locking. You don't need to convert all your stock - just within the Maunsell sets, leaving your choice of couplers on the outer ends.

• RMweb Gold

I use Roco couplings - the real ones not the longer Hornby variant - and they close-couple very well. I use them within sets with Kadee 19s on the end coaches. Keen Systems sell the Roco ones for £1 per pair which is very reasonable.

• RMweb Gold

I use Roco couplings - the real ones not the longer Hornby variant - and they close-couple very well. I use them within sets with Kadee 19s on the end coaches. Keen Systems sell the Roco ones for £1 per pair which is very reasonable.

I use Roco couplings - the real ones not the longer Hornby variant - and they close-couple very well.

I use Fleischmann Profi couplers (which provide the same gap as the Rocos), primarily because they are a bit less fragile than the Rocos. I don't like using Kadees in close coupling mechanisms.

Adrian

I'm with OldDudders on this one:

I use Kadees within the sets, #18s work a treat. I also remove the corridor end boards within sets, which removes another source of possible catches when going around bends or 'S' curves. The Sr and BR(SR)'s habit of running sets really helps with the MAunsells as one can use Kadees or other non-standard couplings (non-standard for one's layout, that is!) within the permanently formed sets and leave the end couplings as standard for your layout (tension locks, in my own case).

• RMweb Gold

I use Kadees within the sets, #18s work a treat. I also remove the corridor end boards within sets, which removes another source of possible catches when going around bends or 'S' curves. The Sr and BR(SR)'s habit of running sets really helps with the MAunsells as one can use Kadees or other non-standard couplings (non-standard for one's layout, that is!) within the permanently formed sets and leave the end couplings as standard for your layout (tension locks, in my own case).

Yes, the end boards would not be used within the set, so discarding them is necessary. I have yet to determine how this works when you split/attach sets on a regular basis, and will probably forget them altogether with sets which are to be subject to such station workings. A couple of snaps show how the Maunsells sit with Kadees in the set.

post-4295-0-85092400-1301833628_thumb.jpg

post-4295-0-86151100-1301833270_thumb.jpg

Archived