Comet Mk1 third open

• RMweb Gold

I bought a Comet Mk 1 a long time ago, and have spent the last 3 weeks or so putting it together. I have to say that it hasn't exactly been 40 hour weeks due to work getting in the way, but armed with the instructions that came with the kit, the 'Building coaches the Comet Way' and a few photos, I've got to the stage where I've only got the interior to build.

So let's see what sort of a mess the camera thinks I've made of it:-

post-7024-0-23755500-1301855515_thumb.jpg

The battery box is as far over as it can be, and whilst tinning the Distribution Fuse Box, I lost a bit of the bottom left hand corner, but at least I did manage to successfully solder it to the battery box. There didn't seem to be enough room to solder the Lamp Resistance Box high enough up the mounting for the Regulator, so I soldered it a bit low.

post-7024-0-06813900-1301855882_thumb.jpg

This shot makes everything look grossly untidy with all sorts of components at different angles (most of them wrong), however there might be hope for it all.

post-7024-0-08538700-1301856060_thumb.jpg

Once the body gets plonked on, the underfame actually begins to look a little better. The end fittings are glued on, I didn't feel confident enough to try to solder the brass bit to the whitemetal end, then solder the whitemetal corridor connection. I tried soldering one of the connectors on, but it just vanished in a puff of smoke, so these 2 are glued on also.

So, there we have it, all soldering of external bits and bobs is now complete (except the bogie sides - which I'm not sure yet whether to solder or glue) - now onto the interior which is going to be an open coach, so lots of tables to make.

I'll keep you posted, but don't hold your breath.

• RMweb Premium

The lurgy is spreading. Soon there will be so many coaches being built in GB that it could be something to consider for the Guinness Book Of Records.

Nice one Phil. At least it looks like you will finish yours which is something I rarely do!:lol: I even see hinges - good man!

Don't tell Geoff but there are some nice MK1 grab handles available from Sou***rn P****e!:P I've got some and they are meant for the Bullion Van which is still awaiting its final details :unsure:

Cheers, the other Phil!!;)

Excellent Work Phil!

Sorry to put a slight dampener on things here but it looks like you've got the etched part of the gangway on the back face as appose to the front face of the gangway though. 2 possible solution, either you prise the componant's appart (Dependant on how they are currently fixed), or snip off the lamp iron's and source a replacement etch (either Comet or possibly Masokits, just dont get put off by the rest of the etch on the latter!)

With regards to the bogie sideframes I suggest glue. I tried soldering my first one and didn't attempt a second, I always glue now and how been quite happy with the results!

Keep up the good work, not far to go now!

Paul

Looks good, Phil. My first brass coach, also a Comet kit, is at about the same stage, though I've done a couple of four and six wheelers before, so it's good to see how others get on with Comet coaches.

Another modeller taking the plunge into coach kit building...

Yes, coachmann, Mallard and others have a lot to answer for :blink:

With regards to the bogie sideframes I suggest glue. I tried soldering my first one and didn't attempt a second, I always glue now and how been quite happy with the results!

I'm reaching a similar conclusion. I've found that when soldered there is sometimes not enough flex to get the wheels in easily. I've had particular problems with Bill Bedford's sprung bogies so was thinking I might try some flexible glue such as the Evo-Stick impact stuff. What do others recommend?

Nick

Nick,

I'm getting close to completing 4 Bachmann Mk1 conversions, all running on BB bogies with all the Masokits fidly bits. This is my first forey into coach builing (of sorts) and i've used Araldite for the sideframes. It's sticky enough to stay where you want it and gives you enough time to tweek if needs be.

About time I left work and stuck a few more bits together really!!! :D

Here's a tip. If using Araldite to secure the sideframes, position each one then add a touch of Loctite at each end to secure while the Araldite cures. That way nothing will move during the long wait!

I solder mine in place with a 45watt iron and normal solder used on brass. There's a nack to it and I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you're in no hurry...:D Also I solder the bogies with wheels in place while pressing them down on a perfectly flat surface. That way I know all the wheels are on the same plain. Springing wheels in afterwards seems weard.

• RMweb Gold

it looks like you've got the etched part of the gangway on the back face as appose to the front face of the gangway though.

Paul

Thanks, Paul, I did wonder about that when I put it together. I think I'll maybe take the third option and make sure it's in the middle of a rake!laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to put a slight dampener on things here but it looks like you've got the etched part of the gangway on the back face as appose to the front face of the gangway though.

Been there, done that :unsure:. Took me several goes to work out that it wasn't built that way!

Phil @ 36E.

Archived