Exeter St Davids in N. Possibly...

ian b

Hi all!

Never done one of these before so bear with me!

I am a serial modeller- currently having layouts/ stock in Z, N, OO and O but n gauge has been my main scale since my parents bought me a Farish starter set (20142 plus two tanks and two freightliners) in the 80s.

Anyway i've never shared my stuff with anyone until recently but thought i'd give it a go!

In my railway room (shed!) i've got approx 14' x 6' to play with and have had a succession of railways in there, from modelling the west highland line to roundies to Edinburgh Waverley to Haymarket but haven't yet settled!

I've always wanted to model Exeter but never took the plunge but have thought 'what the hell, i'll give it a go'.

I'm a slow worker, being much more into running trains than anything else, and don't know how much i'll get done before I change my mind but here are a few piccies of my start- there are remnants of my old layout which is being gradually taken to bits to make way for this one!

Hope they are of interest!!!

post-7862-0-40391100-1301945470_thumb.jpg

post-7862-0-15423900-1301945527_thumb.jpg

post-7862-0-05683100-1301945593_thumb.jpg

post-7862-0-90136300-1301945621_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

An ambitious project, I like it smile.gif Several years back in RM there was a couple of articles about someone who had built St Davids in n I hope that yours turns out just as well.

Thanks guys! Love all things EE, especially the 50s so am aiming for somewhere around 1986-1991ish. This should give me the opportunity to run 50s in all hues!

Does anyone know if the Farish 108 could be prototypical? The only 108 pairs i've seen have the headcode box, although one or two with the destination box were paired with 101 cars.

Got platforms 1, 2 and 6 laid at the weekend- hopefully the rest of the station will follow this weekend... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Quick update! Got the majority of the track laid now- just the roads at the Cowley Junc end of Riverside Yard to sort out.

Had a bit of a think about the West of England/ Exmouth branch and have settled for 3 sidings at the mo- 2 are long enough for 2 locos + 9 coaches with a little 'un to hold a 3-car DMU.

Wired very basically so far- just enough to get trains running! Also just enough to realise the bank is just too steep for an old three car grafar 101 to get up- looks like it'll be a 2-car for the time being... :(

Heres a couple of photos- some close ups, a current stock list and a track plan to follow soon hopefully!

post-7862-0-33831100-1303069232_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yards off scene- Barnstaple branch sidings to the right

post-7862-0-66425000-1303069271_thumb.jpg

Overall station area

post-7862-0-48848600-1303069305_thumb.jpg

'Riverside' yard- 3 sidings is the limit! Complete with run round sidings opposite

post-7862-0-70191500-1303069341_thumb.jpg

South end approach- it'll look better when theres actually a platform there...

post-7862-0-32024200-1303069367_thumb.jpg

Depressingly blurred photo of 37 heading along the back wall- the 2 lines above have now become the Exeter Central fiddle yard

Enjoy!

Ian B

Looking good, can you re-arrange the station throat at all, look to be some very tight curves in that area which is a shame as you have loads of space and long trains. I'm sure you could slacken the curves to both the outer and inner platforms, maybe with a small curve to the platforms.

Hi Katier!

They look quite harsh in the photos but aren't too bad 'in the flesh'! I am in the process of replacing the set peco curves with Flexitrack which should ease them slightly- specifically the ones into platform 6 (far left) and platform 4 (right hand middle platform). My main worry is using short radius points in the fiddle yard but can't be helped unfortunately!!!

Ian B

I was thinking if you changed the point that splits between the platform and the sidings for a curved point that might help a bit, would need slight tweaking of the pointwork into the depot but nothing major. Similarly a curved point before the cross over might help slacken things there a bit too.

I was thinking if you changed the point that splits between the platform and the sidings for a curved point that might help a bit, would need slight tweaking of the pointwork into the depot but nothing major. Similarly a curved point before the cross over might help slacken things there a bit too.

I think you're right- it would ease it off nicely but i'm trying build this without buying any more track so will have to try and be a bit cleverer with what I have. I've replaced the setrack stuff now with flexi which looks (and performs) much better! Photos to follow later hopefully!!!

Got the track down now to a layout i'm 99% happy with (although the doesn't count the fiddle yard!) and at a point where I can play trains, er, 'test the wiring'!

All seems to be ok and running pretty well, although one of my Grafar 50s has developed an annoying habit of slowing down immensly around any sort of curve. Have checked the plastic things that hold the bogie in place and they aren't too tight or too slack, so i'm at a bit of a loss...

Anyway, a couple of piccies to be getting on with! (You may need a bit of imagination!!! :D )

post-7862-0-79588500-1303452807_thumb.jpg

Elgar pulls into Platform 1 with the ECS for a W of E service while a 101 for Paignton sits in P3

post-7862-0-62696400-1303452870_thumb.jpg

50007 seen from the footbridge

post-7862-0-78852100-1303452918_thumb.jpg

Nearly departure time!

post-7862-0-73089800-1303453057_thumb.jpg

Leaving the tunnel on the way to Paignton

post-7862-0-62193700-1303813669_thumb.jpg

Just a quick one! This is the track plan for the first shed which houses the main station and Central fiddle yard- i'll upload a plan for the second shed when I get it drawn!

Forgive the wiggly lines...:blink:

Didn't take long!!!

post-7862-0-39916000-1303815467_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

Glad it looks interesting!

Elgar is the standard Grafar one- i've had mine for probably around 15 or so years but there have been 2 on ebay this week so you can still find 'em!

Also got Renown (29) in NSE, Victorious (36) in Large Logo, Defiance (149) in railfreight and 19 (Ramillies) in Laira blue!

• RMweb Premium

When running from the Meldon / Barnstaple line do you run "wrong line" to the other side of riverside yard or are you going to put in a cross over?

Hi Kris,

I originally had the crossovers there too but found that the locos were clattering over them then in a fairly short distance onto another set so thought i'd be better to leave them out- works much better (and is much smoother) without- gotta think of my little passengers!

Ian B

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I said 'Possibly...' on my heading.

Having got the track laid and things running pretty well I am now having second thoughts! :help:

Finding it a tad frustrating that the platforms are just slightly too short and also getting worried about the amount of stock I need just to cover a Sunday evening service!

So are there other less expensive possibilites? My devon 1980s holiday memories start with some photos taken from our room in Paignton overlooking the north end level crossing. Days would start around 0600 with the arrival of a parcels train hauled by a crompton, before walking down to the park to feed the ducks and swans while watching 50s and first gen units popping in and out. Can I resist the temptation...? :)

After staring at the boards wondering what I should do I had a 's*d it' moment and have lifted the track- sorry for the loss of faith! Another important aspect for me was a bit difficult to explain and I didn't realise it until recently- one of the reasons for wanting to model Exeter (and I still do!) is to watch trains from a similar persepective as the majority of my photos and of my memories, and due to the layout having to have the station building at the front I was looking from the wrong side! I realise this sounds a bit odd but it was spoiling my enjoyment!!!!!!!! Should have thought about that during the planning...

I was only losing about 3 coach lengths per platform so it was probably something I could have lived with but if i'd got a full-length HST sat there it would have fitted but looked a bit 'tight'. It also meant that I would have struggled with a pair of 31s on a west coast Mk3 rake which I fancied adding!

Almost certainly going to have at least 3 simpler layout rising from the ashes- Paignton and Goodrington in the 80's (which is already advanced planning-wise), a china-clay cornish n-gauge one in the 80's (just a thought but I know silver bullets are arriving for my birthday this week!) and a Scottish-region based suburban station in the 90's for my 37/4s, 67, 86, 156s, 158s and 170s! The 50+ points I am in the process of lifting should help with these!

Gonna kick off a new Topic shortly for Paignton- thanks for all the kind comments and hopefully see you there!!!:P

Archived