Why is Ronson lighter fluid required in lining pens ?

The Peter Spoerer lining pens (and most others) require that the paint be thinned with Ronson lighter fluid in order to achieve an even flow of paint. What is so different about the Ronson product ? Has anybody used other brands of lighter fluid with any success ? All I can buy here in Australia is Zippo and Ventti. No, lighter fluid cannot be sent in the mail !

Don't know what's different, but the arty types in the "studio" where i used to work swore by it. Everyone else swore at it because it stank the place out. Surely there must be another suitable thinners, presumably whatever the paint itself is based on.

Lighter fuels are Naphtha, basically a refined high grade petrol distillate, and it evaporates at the right rate to act as a solvent for synthetic enamel, which is what most modelling paint is. All synthetic enamels will take lighter fluid for dilution, especially for spraying, where it acts as an accelerator to aid the initial drying of the paint.

For lining and pens it is used to get the right consistancy for the surface the paint (acting as an ink), is going to be used on. Only practice and tests will determine the right dilution for your pens etc.

Some bow pen users will not dilute at all, preferring the thicker paint, even allowing the paint to evaporate away a bit before use. Others on different surfaces etc., dilute a lot more, a matter of experience and skill to pick up.

Most Lighter fuels are the same product, (there is a BS number and specification),so the maker does not matter, in the UK, Ronson is the main brand.

It does smell pretty bad in spraying, but use in pens should not be a problem.

Stephen.

Either Ronson, or Zippo, or even Coleman camp stove gas. (Naptha) Avoid some of the other lighter fuels as they often contain chemicals to reduce or mask the smell, or slow the evapouration rate. Only Ronson & Zippo brands to my knowledge are pure naptha.

Works great too as an airbrush thinner and track cleaner.

Archived