Lambton Hetton & Joicey 0-6-2t Number 5

Try the N Y M R or N E L P G I was A young lad of 15 when No 5 moved from philli in 1970 and I remember the late W.B Greenfuield collecting drawings for No 5 from the Darlington works of the Stephenson Co I was actually with him.As an aside I footplated No5 on her last test run before leaving Philli and also her last journey to the exchange sidings at Penshaw.I actually helped prepare her that morning I.S Carr took some cracking pictures.Happy days.I'm in the process of modelling part of the Philli complex Running shed and coaling stage in fact the last baseboard was finished yesterday so track laying will commence soon-Simon

• RMweb Gold

Have been racking my brains over this one, and I think there was a kit by Chilton Ironworks a long time ago which was intended for one of the Lambton 0-6-2T designs.

Just looked at an ad in a 1995 MRJ and they did a Kitson 0-6-2 (29, 30 & 31) plus the ex Taff Vale 02 (52)

Hello,

I'm looking at scratch building no 5 in 7mm gauge. I haven't been able to locate the plans, but, I'm intrigued by the possibility that no 5 and her sisters were off-the shelf designs.

If that's the case, they should be near identical to the engines supplied to the Neath and Brecon and Rhymney Railways. I'd welcome opinions,before I commit though. The plans for at least two classes of similar engines are in the recent book, Rhymney Railway Drawings (Welsh Railways Records) by Nigel Nicholson.

As for the other 0-6-2's (29, 30 & 31) the ex Taff Vale and Cardiff Railway engines were nearly all Kitson products. as were the LNER N6 (but with Belpaire boilers) and N11. Kitson 0-6-2's are found on many railway companies books, so getting access to plans might be easier.

In each case theres a lot of detail at http://www.lambtonlocomotivestrust.co.uk/ which incidently confirms that across the principal diamensions, No 5 is remarkably similar to a design in the Rhymney Railway book.

regards

Russell

I seem to remember that No. 5 was indeed a standard R. Stephenson design, but with a cut down cab to accommodate the restrictive loading gauge on the Lambton? Stephensons, like their contemporaries would not have designed new locomotives for a one off order from a small line in NE England, they would offer a solution from their catalogue (as it were) and tailor it to the needs of the customer.

Another possible source of information is the Ken Hoole Study Centre in Darlington. I don't know if they got any material from Stephensons but might be worth an enquiry?

Ken Hoole Study Centre, Darlington

Mind this is from memory and my memory... sorry what was I saying?

Nurse? :unsure:

Archived