Foxfield Railway - Back in action

avonside1563

The Foxfield Railway at Blythe Bridge, Staffordshire opened for business on the 3rd April as normal having satisfied all the requirements of the improvement notice following the report published in February this year by the ORR. The first weekend saw 0-6-0WT Bellerophon in action and last weekend 0-6-0ST Florence No.2 (Yours truly in charge for the Driving Experience course and an RCTS special train on the Saturday). Plenty of events lined up for the forthcoming season, go to http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/ to find out more.

No, a couple of jobs needed before that can open, including the fitting of 4 facing point locks. These were hoped to be done by now but as we have had to concentrate efforts to other matters they have not been completed.

A few more hands would make all the difference if anyone would like to help out? :D

After the Foxfield incident many other railways have been re-assessing all of the paperwork etc that they have got.

A discussion that I had the other day with some fellow working members of many railways was that it might be an idea to adopt the IOM rule. A guard gives the right of way on the platform. When he is on the train he also shows a flag to the loco - they spot this and then give a toot as they know that the guard is on the train.

• RMweb Gold

After the Foxfield incident many other railways have been re-assessing all of the paperwork etc that they have got.

A discussion that I had the other day with some fellow working members of many railways was that it might be an idea to adopt the IOM rule. A guard gives the right of way on the platform. When he is on the train he also shows a flag to the loco - they spot this and then give a toot as they know that the guard is on the train.

If Railways have been doing the job correctly already they would have no need to be assessing any paperwork at all - but alas a number have already been caught out in various ways. The difference with Foxfield was not only that it involved an injury but the 'catching out' of people was rather embarassing to say the very least (and has resulted in at least one person being 'redeployed' in his full time occupation so I understand) and it also revealed a far wider range of 'shortcomings' on that Railway.

As for loco crew knowing that the Guard is on the train any properly written Rule Book will already incorporate the necessary provision for that (even the old BR 'black' Rule Book from 1951 does so and many heritage lines use it - for better or worse) and it should already have long been something which is emphasised in traincrew training - if it isn't then the Railway concerned needs to pull its socks up and get its Rule Book revised and training procedures reviewed (not that I am advertising you should understandwink.gif)

Mike, I would just like to point out the 'shortcomings', as you put it, were all to do with record keeping and administration, a necessary 'evil' in the current safety culture, and had no reflection on the professionalism of the operating staff at Foxfield, many of whom are currently employed on the national network. Foxfield was already working towards resolving most if the issues prior to the 'incident', all that changed following that was a more concerted effort to get everything in place.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I would just like to point out the 'shortcomings', as you put it, were all to do with record keeping and administration, a necessary 'evil' in the current safety culture, and had no reflection on the professionalism of the operating staff at Foxfield, many of whom are currently employed on the national network. Foxfield was already working towards resolving most if the issues prior to the 'incident', all that changed following that was a more concerted effort to get everything in place.

That's not exactly what the RAIB Report said http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/bulletins_2011/bulletin_01_2011.cfm There were clearly - if that Report is at all accurate - problems other than a matter of 'record keeping and adminstration' at the Railway and knowing via other channels of some of the things which happened after that unfortunate incident I have little reason to doubt what the RAIB reported (for once). Incidentally I would hardly regard any of the record keeping mentioned as 'a necessary evil in the current culture' as most of the things found wanting in the RAIB Report have been a requirement on 'independent/heritage' etc railways for at least a quarter of a century to my knowledge from past dealings with, e.g. the Railway Inspectorate, as consequence of my direct involvement with a preservation organisation all those years ago. All that has happened since the introduction of ROGS is basically a need to re-group pre-existing operating and technical stuff into the Railway's SMS - in most instances that re-grouping doesn't add anything at all once the initial set-up has been done because the earlier records are simply placed into the new system (although ROGS has introduced stuff beyond the operating and technical areas which may have to be tackled from scratch). The only exception is the potential need for Rule Book revision which is a common problem on heritage Railways from what I have seen over the last few years although it hardly relates to ROGS and is far more down to a failure to move with the times on safety practice and equipment changes.

I don't incidentally doubt that the Railway's members are committed to their roles and some may well be employed on the national network but the latter point is not relevant, except in possibly reducing training needs, as on an independent railway as it is responsible - and long has been - for managing its own safety standards and keeping relevant records, wherever its people come from. As far as 'professionalism' is concerned I can only judge from what the Report said and from various YouTube etc videos I have seen in the past of the Foxfield Railway and I have passed no comment on it nor do I intend to.

Archived