If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

How do you dismantle Bachmann Mk1 coach?

• RMweb Premium

Hello folks, wondering if anyone has succeeded in taking one of Bachmann's excellent Mk1 coaches apart. I carelessly managed to 'pop' 2 window panels into a coach interior last night. Looking to repair this I undid the single screw in the centre of the underframe and ran a thin blade under the side panel of the coach. It loosened for about two thirds the length from the middle, but seems securely fixed at either end and I can't determine by what or exactly where! Fortunately I managed to secure the glazing back where it belongs by applying 'Crystal Clear' to the window recesses and pressing the glazing from the inside with a flat blade inserted behind the window division. So the coach is ok for now , but I'd like to be prepared should I really need to dismantle one in future and this does seem as though it will be a delicate job.

Thanks,

John

Pop the bogies and couplings off, there's a screw under there at each end, IIRC. I've a dozen stripped chassis awaiting rebuild into Carflats, and I feel sure that was the fastening point. Shipped on all the unspoilt sides and roofs to a happy new owner, so I think I did it right. Just take it steady as you start each screw off, some are tight as though they were put in when the plastic was still warm ;)

Archived