Project Rat!

Hi,

This is the first post regarding my own projects so bare with me :D

Eventually myself and my dad are going to start work on Llandudno Junction in EM gauge around late 70s early 80s so Class 24/25s were a common sight.

Looking at the 25s that are on offer from Bachmann, we weren't satisfied with the overall look and felt that the Bachmann 25s just don't represent a true rat.

After looking around the web and with help from a Rail Express Modeller issue we were on the road to IMO the better looking rat.

The plan is to follow the Hornby body with Bachmann chassis(modified) route with 9 rats on the to do list so far.

Anyway here's some progress shots thus far.

dscf1033u.jpg

So its been allot of chopping and sanding to get to this early stage, i've also scored the joint lines on the base of the cab and the Bachmann 25 came in handy with the lights, a cast was made from the Bachmann lights and then that was casted onto some miliput seated in drilled holes.

dscf1034.jpg

The base of the cab has been lowered by 2mm with some good old milliput.

dscf1041en.jpg

The 25 on the left is currently lacking all the detail, and only has the basic cab shape calved out. This will be the next rat on the to do list.

I'll have more progress to report soon, for now let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Alex

I'm surprised nobody has added a comment yet so I thought to be polite I would register my enthusiasm for this project! The Rats are looking very nice, keep up the good work and keep posting your progress. I haven't done the Hornby/Bachmann hybrid myself but this is tempting me to have a go.

I have been doing one of these hybrids myself. I had to cut the Bachmann chassis buffer beams off to shorten the chassis very slightly. I'll also have to fabricate a boiler water tank as the Bachmann 25 that donated the chassis was one of the non-boiler fitted examples.

There are a couple of things you have done that I hadn't even thought of when I started my conversion, so I may have to incorporate them before I get too far! They certainly look good.

Is there a size issue with the mid window on a gangwayed Honrby 25. I did one ages ago that just took the window frame down by its own depth and then scalpel to size much like the non gangwayed version..

Looking good so far....

Ian

Thanks for the comments guys,

Is there a size issue with the mid window on a gangwayed Honrby 25

Yeah i also found this so like you, I used a scalpel and a few files so sort it out.

I am sure Shawplan are developing some nice etches for 25's

I've got one eye fixed on the shawplan blog at the moment as you can imagine! will be looking at fitting the top notch new fan grills eventually.

Anyway, I got round to drilling some holes through the lights ready for controllable LEDs when that time comes around.

18920780.jpg

The body is currently sitting on my first test Bachmann chassis. I'll get around to uploading some shots of it when its in a more respectable state :P

Thanks,

Alex

I'm surprised nobody has added a comment yet so I thought to be polite I would register my enthusiasm for this project!

I was surprised too! Not sure how I missed it yesterday!

I've got one eye fixed on the shawplan blog at the moment as you can imagine! will be looking at fitting the top notch new fan grills eventually.

One problem I find at the moment is that I'm holding back on some projects just in case Brian brings out even more new parts!

I've been told how many hours he's doing and there'll be a lot appearing in the future!

Archived