Testors Dullcote

A while ago i was watching a youtube video on weathering a model loco & he sealed the model with dullcote. I read somewhere else that they sealed with dullcote so i purchased a bottle but i have not used it yet. What is its base is it a enamel based varnish or an acrylic base? Also is it universal to use with both acrylic & enamel paints it's totally new to me so i thought i best ask before i use it willy nilly & make an expensive mess.

cheers

Simon

If it is Testors Dullcote in a bottle, then this the classic matt lacquer that Testors have made for many years. This is usually thinned with cellulose thinners, (top grade), and applied with an airbrush in extremely light well thinned coats.

It's classic use is for buildings to give a matt surface that is quite durable. It can be used on stock and locos, but is very matt and will pickup finger marks etc, but the matt surface is better than other makes.

As it is a Lacquer it can be mixed with gloss Rustins clear lacquer to give a satin finish, about 50/50, which is more durable for locos.

Being cellulose in theory it is no good over enamel,but can be used over well dried acrylic, however as with any cellulose product it can be sprayed over enamel in thin dusting coats to build up very slowly, so as not to damage the enamel.

Phoenix precision paints can take it, as they can be thinned with cellulose, being a synthetic enamel, but must be dried hard, and the over spray done slowly, and I mean slowly, if you have only used spray cans that's the equivalent of a drench!!!!

It can be brushed on to wood, and stained surfaces, but not for locos, it dries too fast and may leave streaks, so really it's a spray product.

The thinning for spraying can be up too 70% thinners, with 40% at least. Make sure top grade thinners are used, not anti bloom or cheap grades, other wise white marks can appear on edges and details.

The alternative is the spray can, but these must go over cellulose paint or acrylic, and again in as thin coats as possible.

Hope this helps,

Stephen.

Stephen thank you for the very detailed reply i'm glad it is detailed too so i don't make a mess of thing's. I've only used testors products once before but the paint was brilliant i thought it was very smooth so hopefully the dullcote will be the same. Thanks again for the help

Simon

• RMweb Premium

The alternative is the spray can, but these must go over cellulose paint or acrylic, and again in as thin coats as possible.

Hope this helps,

Stephen.

Hi

I'm puzzled by this statement as I have used the Testors Dullcote in a spray can over enamel (Humbrol) paint only this weekend and at the moment all seems fine.

What is the issue and should I be worried?

Cheers

Paul

The modern Humbrol paint is synthetic enamel and should take the Dullcote if dried hard. if it was going to do anything, you would sees a cockled orange peel surface, due to the thinners attacking and softening the enamel, drying off and leaving a rough surface. But it only happens above certain levels of solvent, and the degree the enamel is dry makes a very big difference,

It is also true the spray can is a slightly different formula, and contains less aggressive solvents.

Basically I would leave the paint to dry for several days in warmth before over spraying with a spray can.

There is no further problems after all is dried, as soon as the thinners have evaporated the paint is safe.

Stephen.

Archived