Wagon Turnplate

Was talking to Stubby at Taunton today over a photo I'd found of a wagon turnplate previously between North Quay and Sutton Wharf. (3rd photo down)

I was just going to post this as a PM but spotted that this has two tracks leading in from the left of the pic (one with a sharp curve) and there may be more than one to the right. There must be other examples but not being any kind of expert at turnplates (except at spotting them when they've been pointed out to me).

Edited to include the link. Long but very enjoyable day.

The actual site of this is about 100 yards away from my office; there are a lot of railway bits and pieces still around the harbour area, if you know where to look. Certainly the track leading to the turntable is still there, embedded in the cobbles.

The site of this is now under the harbourmasters office, built if I remember correctly in the late 70's or early 80's.

There is a considerable amount of track still visible in the cobbles including the only (to the best of my knowledge) remaining insitu section of three rail broad and standard gauge track.

Go along the line to the right of the picture for aprox 100 yards and you will find the remains of a turnout, close to a dockside hand operated crane, where a short length of the broad gauge rail forms a crossing in the turnout rail.

Closer inspectiion will reveal a line of large "kerbstones" set in the cobbles following the run of the broad gauge rail. This line did originally run onto the wooden pier which now accomodates the angling club.

Archived