RMweb

How to remove a pillar drill chuck

Just bought an Axminster Pillar drill, in my rush to get started, I ignored one crucial piece of advice - degrease the pillar 'stem' and the inside mating faces of the chuck (press fit rather than threaded) how can I now remove the chuck to ensure that all is running well - I suspect that the drill is not running quite true - also - how to remove any backlash?

Thanks - Graham Woodruff - GRW184

Guest baldrick25

Just bought an Axminster Pillar drill, in my rush to get started, I ignored one crucial piece of advice - degrease the pillar 'stem' and the inside mating faces of the chuck (press fit rather than threaded) how can I now remove the chuck to ensure that all is running well - I suspect that the drill is not running quite true - also - how to remove any backlash?

Thanks - Graham Woodruff - GRW184

This link might help:-

PDF

In case its not too clear, wind the handle down a couple of turns, with it turned off and isolated of course, and look for a vertical oval slot in the now exposed part ( no 93 ) between the chuck and the bearing above it . You will need a taper key ( like a wedge shape) or something just the right size to push in tht slot and parts 94 and 95 will drop out. See page 20 of the manual. A slight tap on the taper key will be needed with a hammer sometimes to break the 'stickion' on the taper.

Hello Graham,

the above reply will work if your M/C has a Morse taper in the head stock. But if it just has a Jacobs taper on the out side of the head stock you should use a matched pair of wedges with a slot M/C in to them. Or you can set the chuck above the M/C table (use a small block of wood to protect the table and chuck) leave a gap of about 1/4" and then using a aluminium or brass drift tap the top of the chuck as near to the center as you can, with a bit of work it should drop off.

OzzyO.

Archived