Wheatley Y10 in N gauge

nb040tender.jpg

that's the beauty, last one withdrawn in 1925, so they aint with us now that's for sure! (I wonder how many things this engine got turned into...)

now not being a scrathbuilding expert, how hard would something like this engine be? it doesn't have to look exact at the end of it but as long as it looks like the thing that's fine.

was wondering if to use a 6 wheel tender instead for easy of getting a motor unit to power it.....

Thumper.

I think you'd be wasting your time.

Even some of the 2mm scale models are let down badly when it comes to how

the wheels look. Best stick to 4mm for these small loco's.

Mac.

Being four wheeled, if you can get one of appropriate wheelbase couldn't you use a powered bogie of some sort? Such as used on 4 wheel trams etc.

You'd need to ballast it well to give good traction, but certainly on the face of it I'd say it's feasible - a lot smaller vehicles ( small 4 wheel shunters ) have been powered in n-gauge so this ought to be doable. I wonder if you had a horizontal motor, could you take a drive off through a shaft and make it 8 wheel drive?

You may be better considering fitting the motor to the tender and driving the loco via a driveshaft. The loco could then be filled with as much weight as possible, and if you could also make it from metal this would help yet again.

Looks an entirely feasible project though, do post progress if you proceed!

Cheers,

Alan

Let's see... driving wheels are 4'3"... or 8.5mm Now the question is, can you get some wheels that size in N gauge (not 2mmfs) There are power bogies that you can get that have wheels that are the right size... but don't have spokes. Dunno what size wheels the tender has, but you can get 6mm wheels for a power bogie (or tender drive) so...

But if you can get suitable wheels, then yes, it should be doable.

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd be wasting your time.

Best stick to 4mm for these small loco's.

If an 02 diesel shunter can be done in 2FS (http://www.2mmoxag.org.uk/modelling.htm) and Terriers can be done RTR in N then this Y10 should be do-able.

Assuming you're happy to scratch build a chassis it should be possible to mount a motor in the tender and the drive in the loco (like Dapol's recent efforts). Wheels will be the hardest thing to source - nobody's produced separate loco wheels in N Gauge for years. The likes of the 3mm Society might have something small enough.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

8.5mm wheels - Farish J94 or the old 'toy train' inside frame 08 I think would be right. You can get probably two axles of them from BR Lines or similar.

I'm currently trying to motorise a tweaked Highfield S&D Long Boiler and my drawing says the drive all fits into the tender using Nigel Lawton OO9 bits including the 6mm dia motor. I shall find out once the arrive having only just ordered them. Thats a 23mm long tender at 20mm wheelbase (the old kit is anyway 8)). Other possibility would be to use the worms and the like for the J94 in the loco and stuff a micromotor down the boiler (if over 6mm dia) or in the tender with a stiff pianowire or similar drive shaft perhaps ?

N Drive Productions is one other possibility although they seem to be temporarily off the market.

N Brass Locos, 2mmSA and others should be able to provide reasonably similar looking fittings.

Archived