Enoshima Dentetsu (Enoshima Electric Railway)

Sir Madog

After a long period of being condemned to planning layouts, which never had a chance to be built, I have finally gotten around to start work on my small modular desktop layout in N scale. It consists of mini-modules of about 6" by 12" for a straight section and 12" by 12" for a curved section. Design is very much like the T-Trak module system, albeit even simpler. The modules are connected only via Kato´s Unijoiner rail joiners, which works nicely.

So far I have been able to construct only a few modules, enough to build a nice little "roundy-rounder" on my desk. the modules will have yet to be scenicked, but the a start is made.

P1020189-1.jpg

P1020187-1.jpg

When the layout is not in use, the modules are going to be stored on a shelf above my desk. Assembly takes less than 3 minutes.4

The final layout will look like this:

Layout2-A.jpg

It will be loosely based on the Enoshima Dentetsu Electric railway, located in the Kamakura District, about 60 miles southwest of Tokyo. I will also run a railfan special steam train, maybe not really prototypical, but I need to give my Kato D51 498 a place for a workout.

Great to see a japanese layout. I've always fancied doing a little Enoden Line layout myself, something I may get round to one day! I has a trip on the Enoden a few years ago. Only took a few pic's and a little video though. Am happy to post or mail you some pics if it helps for layout building. My little video below (Hope you dont mind me posting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elS_co755-A

Kris - I will add more feeder wires as the layout grows, but basically the joiners carry the power.

dmustu - thanks for sharing the video - I still need to capture some impressions from that line for the scenery. Any input is more than welcomed.

Wow - great pics and a big help. Now I have to locate a manufacturer for that station building!

I have a video I shot of most of the line + some photos from a few years back. PM me if you'd like a copy on DVD (too big to post online). I could post some lower res photos if that's all you need.

So far I have been able to construct only a few modules....

A modular approach has many benefits. T Trak put me off as it seemed a lot of woodworking for not a lot of railway. Bend Track appeals.

Would you be so kind as to describe your module construction?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

"Ballasting Kato track ...;"

I use Fleischmann Profi track on my OO layout (Horniman Park) and I agree pre-ballasted track benefits from improvements, if you paint the sides of the rails and blend it into the landscape, it looks much better compared when you took the photos when it was first laid on the baseboards.

A modular approach has many benefits. T Trak put me off as it seemed a lot of woodworking for not a lot of railway. Bend Track appeals.

Would you be so kind as to describe your module construction?

Sorry for being late answering your question.

Construction of the modules is really simple. I use two 15 cm by 8,5 cm marine grade plywood boards of 15 mm thickness as "feet", nailed and glued to a 31 cm by 15 cm baseboard of the same grade - that´s all. My desk is fairly level, so I don´t need any contraption to level the layout.

Archived