Clamp locks on trap points?

• RMweb Gold

Calling all the PW folk out there. In areas where the 'twin' clamp lock type point motors are currently and normally used (i.e. in the Exeter area), are they fitted to single bladed catch points, or would they use the 'conventional' oblong type electric motor?

• RMweb Premium

Technically any type of point system can be used for catch points, (some modern instalations use the new HPSS type for example) however it is usuall for them to be the same type as the end leading onto the mainline (Points that move together are normally given the same number but have a letter suffex e.g. 1952A & 1952B or 10A, 10B, 10C etc) That said you do get situations where at some time in the distant past the signalling engineer has specified different types for each end (e.eg. clamp locks and a HW machine) but this is not the norm.

• RMweb Gold

Calling all the PW folk out there. In areas where the 'twin' clamp lock type point motors are currently and normally used (i.e. in the Exeter area), are they fitted to single bladed catch points, or would they use the 'conventional' oblong type electric motor?

I would be quite surprised if you could find any motored traps down your way (or most other ways come to that) which are only single bladed. I have a recent picture of some traps at Totnes and they have a clamp-lock but I've an idae the traps as Whiteball Siding had an HW point machine (or were intended to have one).

• RMweb Gold

The up loop at Wooferton has a single bladed trap point at its exit which is clamp lock operated. A bit out of area for you but they do exist.

Paul J.

Interesting. It's a long time since I was last up that way and it's definitely off my normal area for nowadays. Is there any chance of a pic as I would be interested to know how it works?

I am pretty sure I have got a photo of it but it is not scanned and may take some time to find. Some more info on the up loop which has a couple of perculiarities, the entrance points and associated trap point are controlled from Wooferton box by rodding and is signalled for wrong direction movements out of the loop onto the up main. As I have mentioned the exit is a single bladed trap point worked by a clamplock but the point by which the up loop rejoins the up main is unworked being pushed over by the passage of trains. Needless to say this has to be clipped before any wrong direction movements take place over it. (This is not unique as the up loop at Pontrilas has the same arrangement). To add to the mix the advanced treadles for Ashford Bowdler AHB are just beyond the exit points with only enough room for a single loco to clear the points if running round a train in the loop, (not forgetting to clip the points). A sign is provided to remind drivers making such a move not to set off the treadle and so put the barriers out of sequence. Lots of interesting signalling talking points in just one place.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

I am pretty sure I have got a photo of it but it is not scanned and may take some time to find. Some more info on the up loop which has a couple of perculiarities, the entrance points and associated trap point are controlled from Wooferton box by rodding and is signalled for wrong direction movements out of the loop onto the up main. As I have mentioned the exit is a single bladed trap point worked by a clamplock but the point by which the up loop rejoins the up main is unworked being pushed over by the passage of trains. Needless to say this has to be clipped before any wrong direction movements take place over it. (This is not unique as the up loop at Pontrilas has the same arrangement). To add to the mix the advanced treadles for Ashford Bowdler AHB are just beyond the exit points with only enough room for a single loco to clear the points if running round a train in the loop, (not forgetting to clip the points). A sign is provided to remind drivers making such a move not to set off the treadle and so put the barriers out of sequence. Lots of interesting signalling talking points in just one place.

Paul J.

Unworked (spring) trailing points in the 'main' line at loop exits were quite common on the Western although they have of course disappeared over the years due to either MAS or rationalisation. Not so common I think were the ones which were driven by rodding from motor worked points at the loop exit although I suspect they might have been some sort of spring slot arrangement to ensure they returned properly for the 'main' once the loop points went back normal.

Not so common I think were the ones which were driven by rodding from motor worked points at the loop exit although I suspect they might have been some sort of spring slot arrangement to ensure they returned properly for the 'main' once the loop points went back normal.

Although not in Network Rail use the connection between the Up through siding and the up main at Loughborough on the GCR is operated in this way. The main line connection (36B) is fitted with the motor and the rodding moves the trap (36A). I am not sure whether there is some sort of spring slot arrangement to ensure that return properly to normal- I'm just a mere lever puller!! I do know that they are not clamp locks- think they are Westinghouse units.

Archived