Hydraulics In The West

Baby Deltic

I've just taken delivery of this book from Amazon, and from a picture point of view its a cracker. Its one of the first books on hydraulics I've seen that's not full of Westerns, in fact, much to my glee there are loads of shots of class 22's.:P

The book is a mixture of colour and B+W. Classes 22, 35, 41, 42/3 and 52 feature.

ISBN:9780711035409

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the light of Baby Deltic's report I bought a copy at Railex and heartily agree with his comments - it really is a book about all the varieties of mainline hydraulics and all the better for not having everything coated in blue Paintcool.gif Some good colour reproduction too - which if nothing else should finally put the kybosh on the 'white window frame' red herring which has come to be miss-associated with Hymeks. Talking of white window frames there is a pic of D845 with its very short lived white window 'framing' (the caption suggests they might have been yellow, I wonder if two different colours were tried out?) - definitely a rarity. A couple of captions are transposed on one page but apart from that - and the description of a Farina bodied Austin A40 as 'early postwar'! (what does that make the D6XX 'Warships' I wonder, they appeared in the same year as that model of the A40) - the captions are pretty good as well. Some pictures are not exactly in the photographic top class but I think that can be forgiven in view of their age and the subject matter.

If you like WR hydraulics, especially in their earlier years, you should definitely be seeking out this book.

I recently purchased this book and was impressed with its content lots of photos of Class 22's one at Falmouth Station along with a a Warship at Hayle Wharf

I thoroughly recommend this book which is mainly new content and a delight for fans of the Hydraulics in their heyday

Xerces Fobe

Archived