Oil stains on ballast. How do you do yours

• RMweb Premium

I have achieved the effect shown below in about 5 minutes. First I thinned a mix of 50:50 black and burnt umber acrylic with the water spray then used a wide brush to apply this along the entire trackbed between the rails.

Next I used the same 50:50 mix of paint but undiluted and applied it with a thin brush along the middle of the track to represent oil drop. Being acrylic it stands up very slightly and can be built up if you wish.

When thoroughly dry just a light touch of semi-gloss varnish will ensure the acrylic retains that shiny oily gunge appearance

111010.jpg

I have used this on my layout and judge for yourself. HTH

To be honest Richard I've looked at Orchard TMD as its progressed and marvelled at your weathering techniques and attention to detail. I have applied a similar finish as suggested already. It was a bit by accident as I ran out of flat black and applied some cheap artists acryilic to the wash, which when dried retained a slight sheen. Thanks for the input.

Guy

Um, gloss black in an aerosol, from any car part store. But admittedly I am the laziest modeller I know, and it's not a method I would recommend if you have spent hours on trackwork, results can be haphazard to say the least. My tip is to use fast strokes initially and layer up with more or slower strokes in the most oily areas. Height of the can determines the "spread" and trials before application along with some spare nozzles is wise.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest Richard I've looked at Orchard TMD as its progressed and marvelled at your weathering techniques and attention to detail. I have applied a similar finish as suggested already. It was a bit by accident as I ran out of flat black and applied some cheap artists acryilic to the wash, which when dried retained a slight sheen. Thanks for the input.

Guy

No problem Guy, and thanks for your comments. As with most modelling aspects, there is no one answer / solution and we just usually end up with what we are looking for, some by accident as well of course!

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

a little trick i got from RBE of this parish, after a chat at the mansfield show this year he told me how he did some of his scenic water using clear nail varnish.

i decided to give it a go, i firstly painted a heavy stain of frame dirt and a little matt black over the ballast and sleepers and then gentle poured a little claer nail varnish over the top, at first it tends to sink into the ballast, but with a few little extra applications gives a wet but dark oily stain to tghe ballast and sleepers, i used a litle on the concrete to for a small oil deposit.

Cheers

Neil

Archived