Rail Express, May 2011

Jim Martin

Just bought a copy at Smith's in Liverpool. Cover photo is 55022 on Alcan PCAs.

Prototype bit:

Speedlink Casualties feature is "on" this month, two-page feature on the Barnby Dun soda ash and limestone traffic;

GBRf's new "Interhub GB" intermodal centre in Barking;

Amtrak at 40

All the usual departments

Modelling bit:

Modellers Guide to LPG and propylene traffic (includes formations for wagonload and block trains, mainly from 80s and 90s, but a couple of 2000-2003 and one each from 1965 and 1979);

Elcot Road project article about trackwork;

Step-by-step on weathering a DMU so it looks like it's been cleaned;

Another layout feature!! (what's going on???) on Bedlam Heath, Southern Region c.1980;

Reviews: Heljan "Lion", latest Bachmann '37, Bachmann "highfit", new acrylic paint range from Airbrushes.com, a couple of smaller ones;

Editorial on the Fotopic disappearance

I haven't read a word of this yet, so I can't offer an opinion on the quality of the issue, but that's what's in it.

Jim

not the best issue but good all the same,

the one thing that worry s me slightly though is the amtrak at 40 article. my opinion, so what? Rail express is a british mag for britains railways, after last months american freebie loco book and then 5 pages devoted to america again i feel its a waste. pages that could have been used to extend the modelling section or a retrospecive livery that they havn't done in a while. sadly i feel if the new editor is swinging towards including more overseas stuff personally i feel its circulation will decrease. (i for one would stop buying it) there are already enough mags for overseas interests. sorry to be negative.

however on an up note i do like the layout featured this month. and i think if we didnt all know better the front picture could almost be a photoshop!!! prototype for everything i think!

and a question, it says on page 49 in a picture caption, that DBshenker are exporting YGA/YGB seacow ballast wagons, where are the going? and who will the be working for?

one thing that worry s me slightly though is the amtrak at 40 article... Rail express is a british mag for britains railways... if the new editor is swinging towards including more overseas stuff personally i feel its circulation will decrease.

Spot on. Having paid for my digital copy they have until the end of that subscription to demonstrate otherwise!

"or a retrospective livery that they havn't done in a while. "

What's actually left to do?

Having lost a bunch of my back issues to the Mice this winter. (Yes I know they should have been in a Plastic box! )

I had contacted RE to see if they had any plans to a compendium of "Retrospectrums" or "Modellers Guides", Apparently they are thinking about it. So if you like the idea stick in an email to back me up!

I have to agree with Dan I'm afraid.

I used to subscribe to this, and really enjoyed reading it every month. Towards the end of the subscription, my interest (br blue) articles seemed to dwindle a little, so I didnt renew. I do appreciate its difficult to please everyone all of the time!

However, last issues American loco supplement made me think twice about purchasing, knowing that there is more coverage from overseas this month will prevent me from buying it. I simply don't want to read about overseas Railways.

With the wealth of free information available on the web, the money can go towards the layout fund!

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards

Lee

Hang on... but it's got a Deltic on the front! 'Nuf said !

I'm still working through my copy, but the subtle DMU weathering article by Tim Shackleton is a good read and well illustrated... and the article on Bedlam Heath is a nice illustration of a small layout. I don't buy every month... but it's purchased more often than not ... However, whilst my era is also BR blue... it's good to see what's hapening today and the print quality can't really be faulted.

Well I'm someone who has bought some of the recent issues precisely because of the overseas content. Far from being "enough mags for overseas interests" REx is starting (let's see how it develops) to carve out something of a niche in terms of modern traction outside Europe, which isn't consistently covered in the UK railway press. I'd be disappointed, however, if it were to turn into an over-emphasis on the USA (which is better covered in imported magazines).

I know it's heresy in this forum, but if anything I still don't see the need for model supplements in "prototype" magazines.

I know it's heresy in this forum, but if anything I still don't see the need for model supplements in "prototype" magazines.

I agree - I think REx has the heritage of modelling going back to the proper model rail though. And they don't cover basic techniques which are always in the modelling magazines. This is important as otherwise it would dilute the content. I think that was MRM's failing to be honest. I wasn't overly impressed when I saw Traction now want to expeand their modelling section.

One thing I'd like to see REx do is abandon the seperate REM section and integrate it all as some of the German magazines seem to do (or at least as in copies which my dad has - he can read and speak german I just look at the pictures!). I think there's a natural commonality between many of the protype articles and how to model the subjects. Of course it would be down to suitable content but I think it could work.

The overseas articles can be very interesting - the artilce on Egyptian railways and locos was fascinating! Even my wife had a good look at that one!

I agree with James. I like the articles on overseas prototypes and really enjoyed the one on Egypt.

I don't mind the modelling content so much and they seem to pick up a lot more advertising,

I've only come across R E in the last few months over here in Gotham City, I like it because there is plenty to actually read.

Best, Pete.

I've had Rail Express from #1. I stopped my hard copy subscription last year but now take it electronically which is quite a saving (though one doesn't get the supplements).

The main reason why I continue to get it is for the loco, coach and unit stock allocations. I print these out to ensure I've got a hard copy of that material.I find these are the most detailed stock notes of any of the magazines. If they dropped those then it'd be a "good-bye" from me.

I'm not too fussed with overseas material, unless it refers to ex-BR stock there (such as Mk2s in New Zealand or Cl.58s working abroad for example).

Regards,

Peter

The USA content obviously reflects Gareth Bayer's personal interests (although if you look at his own website, those interests clearly extend well beyond just US railways). I wonder, though, if it also reflects the difficulty of sourcing feature articles on British subjects. This was discussed a few months back as well.

My own views on this are very close to EddieB's. I don't mind the overseas content up to a point - maybe an article every other month - but if I wanted to read about US railroading every month, I'd buy Trains instead.

The modelling content, in my opinion, has improved quite a lot recently: and I was already quite happy with it before.

Jim

I used to enjoy the "Rattle & Roll" years, where stock changes for a particular year were looked at. I don't think they've covered any more recent years than 2000.

Also liked those looking at a particular location on a specific day. Or ones where people wrote about their railrover travels.

We don't seem to get material like that any more.

However, I'm not starting a wish list; it's up to the editor to consider his market.

For me another good edition of Rail Express.,as it is refreshing in the modelling section to see layout such as Bedlam Heath that is not over Photo-shopped to into a work of fiction, with the same sky background in every photo! A good quality magazine with diverse and balanced content, printed good quality paper - Keep up the good work Gareth.

Xerces Fobe

I thought this is a good issue - nice to see more of Bedlam Heath , and if I'm honest , I do enjoy the "foreign" coverage as I do have feet in both camps - the supplement last month was a nice touch , and Amtrak's 40th anniversary is worth a mention , as it is a miracle it has survived that long , so nice to see some classic power - let's be honest, the current UK scene is mainly wall to wall 66s and multiple units , so why not take a look at places where there are still "proper" trains to see?

I'm not advocating blanket coverage of "foreign" trains , but I don't see how a few pages is a problem - it seems to work for Railways Illustrated and Modern Railways.

Hi

I'd agree on the whole, the addition of foreign material is not of immediate interest, but its nice to read about something different - as has been said, just not every month. The new editor is keen to make his mark and on the whole it has helped to just tweak the mag.

Modelling supplement-wise, compared to 12 months or so ago, there is more of an effort to cover a wider range of subjects, i.e baseboard construction etc, as opposed to what, i thought was becoming and advert for limited or special edition loco commissions. ( which as someone who was not very interested in buying any of them started to get a bit wearing). I hope it will continue in this vein, the mini-mag last month showed that they were prepared to try something a bit different. Hopefully as Gareth Bayer is a bit of a modern wagon fan we will see a greater input in this area as well.

chris

there is more of an effort to cover a wider range of subjects, i.e baseboard construction etc

I think the Bednall's current project is very good but the last things REx/REM needs is a selection of general modelling articles.

A wider range of D&E specific articles is a good thing but modelling basics are best left to the other mags.

Very dissapointed to read that the upgraded original condition Class 37/0 'is two steps forward but one back'.

So it looks as if I will have to hang on-to my split headcode sample from the previous batch.

The straight forward "tell it as it is" new model reviews are one of the reasons I keep buying the mag. The latest 37/0 one being a good example of an "undiluted" review, on occasions the review of the same model in other mags, would appear to be of an entirely different product ! As for the foreign railways articles, I found both the recent examples interesting, and provided it's not to be too regular a feature, adds a bit of variety. The mag still has the best quality photos. BTW another vote for more "Retrospective Livery" articles etc ;-)

Dunno if this will be of any interest to anyone...noticed in my local Tescos today, (North Shields Tyne And Wear), that last months 'Railway' magazine priced at £4.95, came bundled with a free copy of Rail Express.

Handy if you missed it and fancy a copy!

Cheers

Lee

Yeahh, but....

Saw this but it's a bit of a rip off - the normal Railway Magazine price isn't £4.95! So RE not actually free - not sure if it actually uses that word on the packaging.

Cheers,

26power

Dunno if this will be of any interest to anyone...noticed in my local Tescos today, (North Shields Tyne And Wear), that last months 'Railway' magazine priced at £4.95, came bundled with a free copy of Rail Express.

Handy if you missed it and fancy a copy!

Cheers

Lee

Archived