Simplified lining for N gauge liveries

PGN

Just a straw poll to see how people think about this.

I'm tackling some fairly challenging (pre-grouping) liveries in N, and it occurs to me that at normal viewing distances you dont actually NEED the livery to be all that precise.

And you cannot get it that precise anyway, because you'll NEVER manage to apply a scale 2" line adged with 3/16" of vermillion ... so it's always going to be a compromise in any event.

OK, so I can live with the fact that the lines are too wide ... but I'm also taking a few liberties such as using a single rather than a double line (with a double line it would end up WAY too wide, for one thing ...) and squaring off the corners even though they ought really to be curvy. It looks OK to me ... it certainly conveys the spirit of the original livery even if it's not a perfect match (and for me, N is a scale that's all about conveying the "feel" of things).

And, let's face it, what I'm doing at the moment is pretty much at the limit of my current ability so I couldn't do that much more anyway!

But how do others feel about simplified livery detail? Acceptable compromise? Or lazy cop-out?

(I'll add some photos of the locos I'm currently working on shortly, if anyone's interested)

• RMweb Premium

If it works for you then do it. Without resorting to printing the liveries then as you say you are not going to get everything in that you can. As another thought, for liveries of that age the number of people who will recognise that it is wrong will be quite limited, I know that I wouldn't.

To me, modelling is about compromise, and the smaller the scale, the more compromise that you have to do.

For one, if a model looks right in it's context (on the layout) at the scale, then it is (to me, anyway) right. So, if your model fits in that, and you are happy with the way it looks at 3', then it works.

Oh, but James! One of teh reasons I decided to go pre-grouping is that I LIKE seeing nice, shiny locmotives with immaculate paintwork ... so modelling a period when they got 3 hours a day of cleaners' attention makes sense.

I know what you mean, though. My first attempt at a pre-grouping livery was a North Stafford New L class 0-6-2T which I buil tfrom a Planit kit. I wasn't entirely happy with the livery in a few places, so I decided to hide them under weathering. The end result is that instead of being unhappy with the livery in one or two places, I'm unhappy with the entire appearance of the locomotive!

Some time I'm going to have to re-do that one ...

Oh, but James! One of teh reasons I decided to go pre-grouping is that I LIKE seeing nice, shiny locmotives with immaculate paintwork ... so modelling a period when they got 3 hours a day of cleaners' attention makes sense.

Well pre-group locos did get dirty - it's a myth that they were always immaculate.

But weather them so they appear looked after and have been cleaned yet are out earning a living and the results can be very realistic. In fact if you look at many photos of clean locos, if they were cleaned with oily rags and the paint ended up tarnished and discoloured over time and dirt would still collect round the underframes, soot engrained along the top of the boiler and coal dust covering the tender top.

I genuinely think that to realistically model a clean steam locomotive is much harder than modelling a filthy one.

I'd say go for the simplified livery option.

Firstly: It's the distinguishing relief features that people notice first and foremost.

Secondly: A semblance of representation of finer detail is often enough to trick the mind's-eye into filling in the gaps.

Thirdly: I suspect a large proportion of people won't know the details of pre-grouping livery lining in any detail at all - so won't have a clue how accurate your models really are in this respect. They'll simply enjoy looking at a well presented model of something they're not particularly familiar with.

But ultimately it's about what you're happy with.

I'm definitely interested in pictures of the locos you're working on :)

OK Southernboy, since you ask so nicely: here's E5 no 571 (ex "Hickstead"). It's not quite finished, but it's very nearly there.

And do bear in mind, the pic is a lot larger than life ...

post-4374-0-91950600-1303628439_thumb.jpg

Thanks PGN, and don't worry, I fully appreciate the effect of close-up photography on small models :)

To see the model actual-size I reduced the size of the browser window and stood back from the screen - and as you say, you can't tell whether corners are square or rounded, and to have the lining any finer could render it almost invisible to the eye. So in 'capturing the spirit of the original' I think you've got the compromise just right.

To paint such a fine lines along a flat surface with consistency is difficult enough. But to go up, over, and round the other side of a boiler and still maintain that consistency must take some determination! And I notice the finest of lines edging the steps too.

A very nice model and I think you've done a top job - I hope you're proud of it :)

Thank you for those kind comments.

Yes, I am pretty proud of this one (so proud in fact that it's just become my avatar ... ).

I've finished it now - improved the splasher lining and fully varnished (matt for smokebox, chimney, cab roof and coal rials; satin everywhere else except for the wheels, which don't get any varnish for fear of gumming things up!)

The D3 is nearly there too - just need to find or make some front foot steps for it and paint them in.

Time to get to work on the K class mogul and the A1X "Terrier" ...

Archived