Guard Bridge

Pennine MC

This may only be a passing fad (like many otherswink.gif) but I'm quite taken by a couple of shots of this location in George O'Hara's latest album, and the associated presence of a paper mill (formerly distillery). I've done a bit of Googling and perused Railscot plus the other obvious Scottish albums; without going to too much trouble does anybody have any other info/links/whatever to offer?

Anything gratefully received, as eversmile.gif

Is it not Guardbridge one word? might help with Googling.

It varies, like a lot of railway derivations of placenames. I didnt actually want help with Googling, I was thinking of stuff that perhaps wasnt so readily available.

I don't think you've lost much with the downfall of Fotopic Ian, what with this being a tad off the beaten track. At least I don't recall finding anything on my occasional 'East Fife twinges' spells that I'm prone to.

There is a rather nice but obscure standalone site out there which may (or may not) hold something of use, let me check my 'favourites' on the old computer and get back to you.

Another standard source worth looking at is the RCAHMS archive for (IIRC) the George Hume collection. This will be likely to have local non-railway content, particularly the papermill and other buildings of note. If you're really lucky there may be something directly rail-related.

Jamie

I don't think you've lost much with the downfall of Fotopic Ian, what with this being a tad off the beaten track. At least I don't recall finding anything on my occasional 'East Fife twinges' spells that I'm prone to.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm finding. The attention seems to have been focused more on the conventionally pretty bits around Crail and Largo. As ever, there's an Oakwood on the railway, but I'm not minded to splash out on it at this as yet casual stage. It still strikes me there's scope for an 'in the style of' pastiche, this juxtaposition twixt rail and road would make a nice featurecool.gif

Have you tried Geograph (square NO4519) or searching Google Images for 'Guardbridge'? There are quite a few pictures of the mill and the town itself, though none of the railway that you wouldn't have found elsewhere.

Another standard source worth looking at is the RCAHMS archive for (IIRC) the George Hume collection. This will be likely to have local non-railway content, particularly the papermill and other buildings of note. If you're really lucky there may be something directly rail-related.

Jamie

Nail on the head time Jamie smile.gif http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/32887/digital_images/guardbridge+station/ plus if you do a search on just Guardbridge you get over 270 online digital images from the paper mill amongst others.......

Thanks both, the ones of the station are obviously useful and fill in a few blanks. For those who are sufficiently interested, plate 275 in O'Hara shows a nice overview* and the way that there are a few interesting features in a relatively small area. Still not sure how the two (apparently) branches to the mill fit into it all, unless there's something in amongst those 15 pages of papermaking machines... **

* Not to mention a nice blue Gloucester 100, oh no, I'm not mentioning thatwink.gif

** Edit: I do like this thoughcool.gif

Thanks both, the ones of the station are obviously useful and fill in a few blanks. For those who are sufficiently interested, plate 275 in O'Hara shows a nice overview* and the way that there are a few interesting features in a relatively small area. Still not sure how the two (apparently) branches to the mill fit into it all, unless there's something in amongst those 15 pages of papermaking machines... **

* Not to mention a nice blue Gloucester 100, oh no, I'm not mentioning thatwink.gif

The ScRs Handbook of Stations only lists one other entry under Guardbridge - for the oddly named "Seggie Siding" (see this map) and two things of interest here

and here's the site I vaguely remembered: http://andycarr.net/ - see what you find (maybe nothing).

Well, the Devon Valley pics don't exactly help concentrate the mindbiggrin.gif

... the oddly named "Seggie Siding" ...

No doubt from the Seggie Distillery, which is the nature of establishment that the papermill was originally built as. Still doesnt explain the name, mindwink.gif

Then you might like this, too. (For more pictures, follow the link at the bottom of that page to 'Exploration Gallery' , then go to 'Curtis Fine Papers'.)

...(For more pictures, follow the link at the bottom of that page to 'Exploration Gallery' , ...

Some rum old stuff in therehuh.gif

Any rail served industry, of course, has a good chance of being more 'label' than paper, if you get my driftwink.gif

The ScRs Handbook of Stations only lists one other entry under Guardbridge - for the oddly named "Seggie Siding" (see this map) and two things of interest here

No doubt from the Seggie Distillery, which is the nature of establishment that the papermill was originally built as. Still doesnt explain the name, mindwink.gif

Seggie is the next village west of Guardbridge along the A91.

HI All

At our club in Pittenweem we are building an N Gauge of Guardbridge and St Andrews now, a good book is the ST Andrews branch by the Oakwood press and it has good shots of paper-mill traffic as well as aerial pics.

Regards Arran

• RMweb Premium

the oakwood books of the st.andrews or anstruther and st. andrews lines have a good few photos of the lesser spotted early blue DMUs with yellow cab doors.

'matt' rail blue with small arrows/numbers and the fullest of yellow ends, wrapping right round.

as rare as this livery is supposed to be, there's more photos in the one book than i'd seen EVER!

the books have much railway info, but also have OS extracts, WTTs and a lot of historical information/explanations as to why things happened the way they did.

railways were never simple affairs, technically, politically or otherwise!

At our club in Pittenweem we are building an N Gauge of Guardbridge and St Andrews now,

Oh that's no good, I'll have to choose somewhere else thenlaugh.gif

Cheers all, I may yet have to check out the products of Messrs Oakwood

Archived