Close Couple for Hornby Pullman

• 2 months later...

Hello Derek/folks,

Have just noticed your posts, I have been recently working on a rake of similar Hornby Pullmans.

Using the same technique as Peter but using No16 Kadees, which given the design gives an adjustable clearence.

I have uploaded some photos showing what I did = Gallery link

Regards

Roy

Hi Derek

Here goes, my first attempt at photos

post-5249-0-40690300-1303918675_thumb.jpg

Left Coach new type unmodified Hornby pullman, Right modified coupling

post-5249-0-12783700-1303918793_thumb.jpg

Underside with amended coupling and amended peg

post-5249-0-40821100-1303918914_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Peter

Close coupling Pullmans and other stock fitted with buckeye couplings requires the buffers to be retracted as per prototype. It's a pity to disable Hornby's nice spring buffers, but they get in the way.

For semi-permanent rakes, a simple wire link is sufficient. The rigid buckeye couplings (as used for dummies on the front of locos) could also be used, but would need large radius curves if mounted at prototype height in line with the buffers.

Thanks to this thread I have finally been able to get my Hornby Bournemouth Belle to work (the first aluminium bodied coaches not the 12 wheeled version) I used the no:46 Kadee couplings and glued the buffers right in and I got 3 coaches to complete numerous laps of the railway for the first time ever complete with a very slim gap between the coaches which is hardly noticeable. Just need to get another pack to do the rest of the train now.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether this should apply to any of the Hornby Pullmans but bear in mind that not all Pullmans have "Pullman" gangways!

I have some pictures in books showing them with normal British type gangways and screw couplings.

There were several dozen ex LNWR and GWR underframes used around 1921 for Pullman car construction.

e.g. "Maid of Kent" (formerly Formosa) built 1921 on a second hand LNWR underframe had screw couplings, withdrawn 1960 now preserved.

EDIT: BTW the latest Hornby close coupler is the same style as Bachmanns inter car coupler on it's multiple units.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Derek/folks,

Have just noticed your posts, I have been recently working on a rake of similar Hornby Pullmans.

Using the same technique as Peter but using No16 Kadees, which given the design gives an adjustable clearence.

I have uploaded some photos showing what I did = Gallery link

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, but that's brilliant!

I think I'll take the advice another user suggested, and that is to retract the buffers, and see if we can get a closer fit. Should not be too difficult to get something a couple mm shorter than the # 16.

Thanks to this thread I have finally been able to get my Hornby Bournemouth Belle to work (the first aluminium bodied coaches not the 12 wheeled version) I used the no:46 Kadee couplings and glued the buffers right in and I got 3 coaches to complete numerous laps of the railway for the first time ever complete with a very slim gap between the coaches which is hardly noticeable. Just need to get another pack to do the rest of the train now.

Hi Ed

Do you have a couple photo's you'd be willing to share?

• 2 months later...

Hi BR NSE Fan

Sorry for the long delay in replying but I only just checked this thread :blink:. Anyway here are some pics of the Pullmans with the couplings

post-6918-0-43035800-1319882943_thumb.jpg

This shows the Pullman upside down with the Kadee No;46/146 in place no surgery was carried out on the coach at all it was a simple case of screw out, old coupling off, Kadee in and screw back in.

post-6918-0-03304900-1319882946_thumb.jpg

This shows 2 coaches coupled together, there is a gap (the white paper was placed behind to highlight this) but when the train goes round at top speed you will hardly notice it. They are a bit tricky to get together at first but once they are together they stay together.

post-6918-0-77175600-1319882948_thumb.jpg

This shows the gap from the top, again it is noticeable now but at top speed you can't see it.

The job went so well on these first 3 that I ordered some more of the same couplings to finish the rake off, I will even be doing the outer ends and this will be the first train to go over to full Kadee couplings on our line, the rest of the trains will follow in due course.

Archived