Switching Tupperville

Alcanman

Hi,

In Lance M's latest blog he once again puts forward the case for slow realistic switching.

Then he provides a Youtube link to 'Switching Tupperville'

This is exactly what attracts me to US modelling.

I even love the name, it sounds like somewhere that Tupperware would be made :P

Great Stuff!:rolleyes:

Check it out in www.lancemindheim.com

regards,

Mal

Guest jonte

Hi,

In Lance M's latest blog he once again puts forward the case for slow realistic switching.

Then he provides a Youtube link to 'Switching Tupperville'

This is exactly what attracts me to US modelling.

I even love the name, it sounds like somewhere that Tupperware would be made :P

Great Stuff!:rolleyes:

Check it out in www.lancemindheim.com

regards,

Mal

Hi Mal.

I discovered this earlier when I thought I'd pop in and see if there were any updates to Lance's 'Blog'.

Couldn't help noticing how the locos and stock in these switching videos always appear to pitch and roll along the PW. Ironically, progress on my own layout has stalled recently due to dissatisfaction with the motion of my own stock over proprietary track, causing me to take extreme measures by attempting to make my own. Being a newbie, I couldn't resist the urge to pull earlier attempts apart and rebuild them as skills improved lengthening the whole darned process !!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, when you see these vids, makes you wonder why you bother; now I'll have to go the extra mile and put the 'uneveness' back in :angry:

Best wishes,

Jonte

I followed Lance's Blog & link too, at least to the first You-Tube clip - still got to watch the rest!

As for uneven track, all the 'mainstream' advice will be to make your track as smooth as possible... :rolleyes: and to be honest, I don't think a lot of UK/EU rolling stock would cope with much else - especially older 4-wheel wagons. US models on trucks (bogies) already have built-in 'compensation' of sorts which helps it cope better with rough track, just like the real thing, really... :) ;)

Hi,

I think the uneven track may in Pt 1 maybe slightly exaggerated by the telephoto lens. However, there is no doubt

that the track is distorted and the rock & roll motion is part of attraction.

As for modelling unenven track, I'm not so sure.

Having spent years trying to get locos to run at a realistic slow switching speeds without stalling,

(virtually impossible until few years ago with British stock), I wouldn't want to risk compromising what I now been able

to achieve with a combination of live frog turnouts, NCE Powercab and Atlas locos.:rolleyes:

cheers,

Mal

Near the end of Part 3, as the loco pauses, having backed the train into the spur, I was sort of expecting a massive hand to descend from above with a twizzle-stick, to uncouple the delivered cars.... I note the camera panned to the front of the loco to avoid catching that bit, so the realism wasn't spoilt... :rolleyes: :D B)

Interesting thing I noticed in the beginning of the first video - conductor dismounts before the locomotive has stopped. That's pretty much a serious no-no nowadays and really not typical due to safety rules. Compare that to 30 years ago when Seaboard Coast Line has some crack trains would do crew changes here without the train coming to a complete stop at all...new crew would swing up and old crew would dismount while the train was still moving...

Guest jonte

......... US models on trucks (bogies) already have built-in 'compensation' of sorts which helps it cope better with rough track.....

Hi F-UnitMad.

I believe Roco are the best for this?

Also, which brands of 'HO' (Diesel) locos would you say have the best suspension units?

Best wishes,

Jonte

As for modelling unenven track, I'm not so sure.

Having spent years trying to get locos to run at a realistic slow switching speeds without stalling,

(virtually impossible until few years ago with British stock), I wouldn't want to risk compromising what I now been able

to achieve with a combination of live frog turnouts, NCE Powercab and Atlas locos.:rolleyes:

I agree Mal. Interestingly the US modellers have pioneered many techniques but I've only ever seen the uneven track, which is a key feature of the US prototype, modelled on static dioramas which I think tells us all we need to know. However I'm keen to have a go on one of my short spurs though but will do a mock up on a test piece first ;)

Cheers,

Longers

Hi,

The first time I came across 'uneven' track in modelling was Peter North's - Hope, Illinois featured in CM June 1991, one of

my favourite US layouts. He was, of course, modelling a very run down Rock Island.

Later in 2002 with Maria, Illinois using Shinohara HO code 70 track he describes nipping the underside of the rail with flush cutters.

I've just watched the old video which was a freebie with CM and the uneven effect of the track is very noticeable on the rolling stock.

cheers,

Mal

Hi F-UnitMad.

I believe Roco are the best for this?

Also, which brands of 'HO' (Diesel) locos would you say have the best suspension units?

I wouldn't really know, TBH. :(

The first time I came across 'uneven' track in modelling was Peter North's - Hope, Illinois featured in CM June 1991, one of my favourite US layouts....

... and most of his subsequent layouts, too, I think... ;) :) B)

His layouts are also among my favourites.

Archived