Good scratch building/modelling books

mattog

Having just completed my first scratch building project (a public toilet block) I'm keen to progress to the next level with the hope of building small trackside buildings, sheds, rows of townhouse and eventually an art deco station. I purchased the British Railway Modelling Lineside Buildings book which to be honest wasn't much help (I see that they have a scratch building book which might have been better). What I'm looking for is a book/s that can teach me the basics and also show me how to create the internal structures. Like for example, how to create those curved art deco signal boxes and what internal framework is required etc. Any suggestions?

Hi Mattog

Get hold of two books written by the late, great, John H Ahern "Miniature Building Construction" and "Miniature Locomotive Construction". They were written and published decades ago but are still very relevant. Try ebay or Amazon.

Regards from oldrog

Guest dilbert

HIghly recommended is 'Modelling Historic Architecture' by Derek Bidwell - this is published by the HMRS, ISBN 9 780902 835157 ... dilbert

There is a large range of modelling books published by Wild Swan. Locos, wagons coaches are all covered as well as structures and scenery. I think I have most of them and they are all extremely useful. Back issues of Model Railway Journal are also very good but some of the earlier numbers are becoming scarce. You might also want to get hold of the BRM Right Track DVDs. Good value for money and very informative.

British Railway Books is a good source. The owner is very helpful.

John

Another one worth looking out for is 'Buildings in Miniature' by George Iliffe Stokes. Like Ahern's books it was published a long time ago but still worth a read.

I found my copy a couple of years ago in the Welsh Highland bookshop for 50p, an absolute steal!

Good question. Southern Region steam/diesel transition era.

Ahh, the books I have are for the GWR and LMS in 4mm. ISBN 0900586486. I also have a book on 4mm buildings from the West Somerset Railway ISBN 0952322005. If you need anything from these books PM me and I'll scan and send.

Mike

Ahh, the books I have are for the GWR and LMS in 4mm. ISBN 0900586486. I also have a book on 4mm buildings from the West Somerset Railway ISBN 0952322005. If you need anything from these books PM me and I'll scan and send.

Mike

It might be a book worth me buying then?

If you want Southern or at least pre-grouping Southern buildings the Bidwell book contains drawings of various structures from the south east, railway and non-railway. Another good source, if a little dated now, is Vivienne Thompson's Modelling Period Railway Buildings published by Peco many years ago. She created a wonderful model of Eastbourne in full LBSC glory, and the book has loads of plans, although mainly LBSC originals. Sadly neither of these covers the art nouveau style - I believe someone (Streetlevel?) produces a printed card kit for the Odeon signal box and working with htis might give you ideas.

For a quick and cheap fix there is an excellent article in the latest MRJ and similar articles have appeared in other magazines. Each author has their own way of doing things that best suits them, and it is probably best to have a go for yourself and see what you find gives you the best result.

• RMweb Gold

the Wills series of moulded sheets is covered in Iain Rice's excellent "plastic structure kits"

Yeah that is a cracker of a book, I would say it is a must have on any modellers shelf!

Regards,

Nick.

Archived