NoEL 2

Mike J

After more or less completing The North of England Line - Scarworth Junction, a start has now been made on its successor The North of England Line - (name to be decided) or NoEL 2.

The Scarworth junction section will continue on the exhibition circuit as long as people are still interested, but the new layout will share the lighting rig and fiddle yard. (There are alot of points and motors on those boards)

As promised to one of our members the latest incarnation will be set in the blue diesel to sectorisation period pre electrification. It will feature a river estuary with bridge as a centrepiece with six running lines. (up fast and slow, down fast and slow, branch and goods) There are plans to include a dual carriageway under construction, building site, city centre, depot, and a large station with overall roof.

If I can get one of our more able computer bods to post a track plan, one should appear soon.

For those of you that are interested regular updates will appear here with photos. The regular team will once again be responsible, with the addition of the very talented Rich B. Scarworth Junction evolved over seven years, so please be patient and if you see us at exhibitions, please feel free to ask us how things are progressing.

The baseboards have been cut and are assembled, so watch this space!

Thanks for looking in. Mike.

NoEL 2 now has its own gallery which will be regularly updated.

First up, packing Noel 1 into its travelling crates and setting up the baseboards for NoEL 2, 29/4/11. (Nothing too riveting to start with!)

Think that fiddleyard is a great idea! How long is it in total?

Russell

Thanks Russell,

There are five boards, each 0.9m long, plus the two end boards of 0.45m long, making a total of 5.4m.

NoEL 2 will be 5.8m long. (The two end boards will each measure 0.65m)

Mike

The plans and sketches produced for NoEL 2 by Rich B are now available in the NoEL 2 album in the gallery section. They give a pretty good overview of what the team is trying to create. Thanks for looking in. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked through all the pictures of this on the Gallery and I think it is a great looking plan.

What brought it to life for me however were the sketches! Is one of your club members a good artist or is it someone from the 'friends & family' brigade?

I also really like the use of the overall station roof and buildings to hide the fact that the track is looping back to the fiddle yard. It will really give the impression of longer straighter platforms!

Good luck with the project - I'll watch with interest.

Tim....

I just looked through all the pictures of this on the Gallery and I think it is a great looking plan.

What brought it to life for me however were the sketches! Is one of your club members a good artist or is it someone from the 'friends & family' brigade?

I also really like the use of the overall station roof and buildings to hide the fact that the track is looping back to the fiddle yard. It will really give the impression of longer straighter platforms!

Good luck with the project - I'll watch with interest.

Tim....

Thanks Tim, both Richard and myself can draw, but the sketches were down to him this time.

He has also produced a CAD drawing of the station roof end screens from a rough sketch I made of Darlington Bank Top which will be used by me to create the actual model. The roof will have a slight curve a bit like York...visually a bit more interesting.

We're awaiting delivery of the track at the moment so that we can start building proper.

Best wishes, Mike

Cad drawings of the proposed station for NoEL 2. The drawings were produced by Rich B. from a sketch that I made of Darlington Bank Top.post-7607-0-25185800-1306364378_thumb.jpgRoof girderspost-7607-0-79207800-1306364220_thumb.jpgFull end screenspost-7607-0-97296000-1306364305_thumb.jpgEnd screen detailpost-7607-0-27446800-1306364153_thumb.jpgStation plan (since modified)

• Like 1

What scale is the grid in the track plan? This is looking like another epic like Eastwood, Manchester Central and Bradfield (and that is just scratching the surface of what is currently on show on this forum). Keep us posted!

What scale is the grid in the track plan? This is looking like another epic like Eastwood, Manchester Central and Bradfield (and that is just scratching the surface of what is currently on show on this forum). Keep us posted!

Each square represents 100mm on the plan, and thanks for mentioning us in that illustrious company Mr. Artizen. Regular posts will appear as the layout progresses.

Cheers, Mike

100mm to a grid is tiny! I could carry that whole board under my arm! laugh.gif Just kidding!

Nice to be able to work in a scale that takes up less than the average bedsit just to model the essential bits.

NoEL 2 update 28.5.11.

The first of the "new" track was laid on 27.5.11 at the left hand end of the layout. The main line, level one set track curves to the fiddle yard were successfully installed by Geoff, Rich and Mike, and tested using an LMS Jinty, two 57ft bogie coaches and a milk tanker. It is planned to lay the set track panels at each end, starting where they join the old layout fiddle yard, first. After this has been completed, the points and flexitrack sections will go in, followed by the raised sections (levels 1 1/2 & 2) of the branch and goods lines.

A separate scenic board at level 3 is being built to sit in the same place as the stately home on NoEL 1, that will contain a totally independent industrial layout. This small section of the project will be able to be exhibited as a small layout in its own right as well as part of NoEL 2.

More photos will appear when there is something of interest to show! wink.gif

Mike

This looks to be very promising and the visualisations have certainly whetted my appetite. In particular the station roof continuing in an (almost) straight line whilst the tracks underneath curve off to the fiddle yard is a neat trick.

Good luck with this.

I've not come across NoEL 1 before - is there a page or thread on it somewhere? There are a few tantalising glimpses of it being packed away in the photo gallery for NoEL 2 - but I'd be interested to see more.

Thanks for all your kind comments and interest. I'll try to keep future postings as visually interesting as possible with photos of our progress.

As said before NoEL 1 (The North of England Line-Scarworth Junction) will continue on the exhibition circuit and can be seen at the following shows;-

edit

17-18 Sept.....North Fylde

12-13 Nov......Newcastle

10-11 Dec......Wigan

21-22 Jan......Kendall

12-13 May......Cleethorpes

4-5 Aug...........Redcar

1-2 Sept..........Blackburn

11-12 Nov.......Spalding

25-26 Nov.......Warley

12-13 Jan......St. Albans

2-3 Feb...........Stafford

9-10 Mar.........Wyre Forest (Worcester)

24-25 Aug......Railex NE (TBC)

16-17 Nov......Alsager-Crewe

3.6.11 Track laying has continued at both ends of the layout.

Return loop for the branch line

post-7607-0-40774200-1307140165_thumb.jpg

Main line loops to fiddle yard (under station roof)

post-7607-0-15341500-1307140090_thumb.jpg

Left hand end loops to fiddle yard at level one (main line)

post-7607-0-48521400-1307140227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

The station throat.

The four main line (2 platform and 2 through) roads will curve into the fiddle yard under the overall roof of the station which will be built to give the impression that the tracks continue in a less severe curve/straighter course. The branch line through road dog bones into a reverse loop (avoiding line) and fiddle yard (extreme left of photo) reached through a series of cut outs in the backscene. A bay platform containing two tracks will sit between the main and branch lines. A long single line to hold specials will diverge from the right hand main line and run along the front of the layout.

post-7607-0-81104400-1307299319_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Mike.

This looks exciting and if its anytihng like the last layout you guys produced its going to look fantastic! I now know where this thread is so I will be checking back on this to see things progressing.

Missy :yes:

• Like 1

Hello Mike.

This looks exciting and if its anytihng like the last layout you guys produced its going to look fantastic! I now know where this thread is so I will be checking back on this to see things progressing.

Missy :yes:

Thanks for your kind words Missy, I do drop in to Highclere every now and then to check on progress. Always impressive!

More track was installed over the past week at both ends of the layout, but visually there doesn't appear to have been a lot of progress, so I'll post some more photos when it looks like we've actually been doing something! (At least we're not building our own so progress will be quicker, although not as good visually as yours)

Best wishes, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

22.6.11. Track laying continues at both ends of the layout.

post-7607-0-42267200-1308935931_thumb.jpg

The station throat showing from the left, the goods avoiding line, the branch and bay platform roads, the four track through main line and the excursion siding.

post-7607-0-36396900-1308936190_thumb.jpg

The station throat from what will be the overall roof. The feint line in the foreground across all the tracks marks the extent of the roof.

post-7607-0-04474600-1308936457_thumb.jpg

The three level loops at the left hand end of the layout showing the main line (low), goods line (middle) and branch line (high) levels.

post-7607-0-83357400-1308936682_thumb.jpg

These tracks will be covered by the self contained industrial layout.

More work on the middle section tonight at the club. Thanks for looking in.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well, it's over a year since the last NOEL 2 update.

Progress has been slow due to many factors. NOEL 1 has been a sick layout and seems to require regular work after exhibitions. As the two layouts share everything except the scenic sections this has impacted on the building of NOEL 2.

However, I can now report that the wiring on the layout side is more or less complete. Personally, I don't find photos of wiring all that exciting, so there are no photos today. When we do have something to show you it will be posted here first, but rest assured that things are happening, albeit slowly.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

For those who are not familiar with NOEL 1, the gallery link is below

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/1376-north-of-england-linescarworth-junction-n-gauge/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Update 6.11.13

Work has recommenced on NoEL 2 and trains have been running . Progress, albeit slow!

Bridges are being constructed as the centrepiece to the layout. A bow girder bridge and one similar to the King Edward bridge will span the river. A slight cant on the centre tracks has been created and the wiring is complete, but being tweaked as faults are identified. Scenic plans and placement of buildings is ongoing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The slow progress continues with most buildings being scratch built.

This set of photos shows the station roof, North Eastern hotel, station throat and river bridges.

It's going to be a long haul!

post-7607-0-98358900-1431764519_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-01585100-1431764545_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-71888400-1431764565_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-79015200-1431764592_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-10009400-1431764624_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-02123500-1431764649_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-74691500-1431764671_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-02607600-1431764704_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-30149400-1431764734_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...