Dean Forest Railway 'GW Branchline Day' - Saturday 30th April 2011

PenrithBeacon

The film starts at Norchard, with the other locations being Mills Crossing, Upper Forge, Middle Forge Junction, Lydney Town and back to Norchard for the disposal of engines 1450 and 9681 and their rolling stock.

I am very impressed with this railway, all the infrastructure you see on the film has been built from scratch by the volunteers and it has been done to a very high standard.

Regards

The film starts at Norchard, with the other locations being Mills Crossing, Upper Forge, Middle Forge Junction, Lydney Town and back to Norchard for the disposal of engines 1450 and 9681 and their rolling stock.

I am very impressed with this railway, all the infrastructure you see on the film has been built from scratch by the volunteers and it has been done to a very high standard.

Regards

I would like to say on behalf of us at the dean forest railway i hope you enjoyed you day with us!! and thank you for you good remarks, theres alot going on and theres still ALOT to be done Whitecroft is our next big project and should be completed by September!

All the Best Keirran C (DFR society executive committee member)

Nice to see 9681 looking less disfigured than it was when I was there!

post-174-0-25530800-1304365238_thumb.jpg

(still, better than Thomas whose face fell off..)

Its a very nice journey through the forest there and they have a vast array of stock for a small line.

Nice to see 9681 looking less disfigured than it was when I was there!

post-174-0-25530800-1304365238_thumb.jpg

(still, better than Thomas whose face fell off..)

Its a very nice journey through the forest there and they have a vast array of stock for a small line.

i was fireman on friday and the face fell off 9681 just a shame we didnt run over it

Thank you for the kind comments and yes I had a brilliant day and I must go again.

Re the comments about 'Thomas', I too dislike the faces but these events do bring in a lot of income for the railways.

While driving from the Gloucester area (I avoided the toll on the bridge), I was struck by the number of villages that have become famous as model railway layouts, not to mention names on the sides of PO wagons.

Regards

Re the comments about 'Thomas', I too dislike the faces but these events do bring in a lot of income for the railways.

Yup its definately a neccessary evil if we want such railways to flourish. Faces on the back of the mk1s was a surprising discovery though when I thought i'd got a clean shot!

The under 30s group of modellers did get a lovely guided tour of the stock sidings when we were there though which was great.

I also discovered their 1st Gen DMU is really comfortable and quiet, I wasn't expecting that!

Many thanks for sharing your video.

I must get down to the Dean Forest this year as I've not been since Norchard opened.

Since Norchard opened..?? :blink: :blink: :blink:

... or do you mean since Norchard High Level opened, which is rather more recent... ;)

DFR is one of my favourite Heritage lines too. B)

I hope you have been since Parkend opened because thats the most recent and whitecroft in september hopefully! :)

Since Norchard opened..?? :blink: :blink: :blink:

... or do you mean since Norchard High Level opened, which is rather more recent... ;)

DFR is one of my favourite Heritage lines too. B)

I hope you have been since Parkend opened because thats the most recent and whitecroft in september hopefully! :)

I have... in fact I first came across the DFR at Parkend, rather than Norchard, way back in '94 when the Station area was still pretty derelict; I had not long started a job that eventually saw me delivering several days a week around Gloucestershire and the F.o.D. in particular, and I was most surprised to come across an old Station in the middle of the Forest, that first time. Later on I traced the line back to Lydney; Norchard's large car park made an ideal Truckstop where I spent many a happy lunchbreak in the 1990's :)

I also found out and passed by where much of the lost lines of the Forest ran, in those days. It was interesting to deliver to a Chemical company near Ruspidge, for instance, and find out it was the old Easter Iron Mine site. I also went to parts of the old Sling branch, both the old British Colour Works, and Watkins Engineering. Happy days!! :)

Though I changed jobs later, and rarely get to visit whilst at work (and then at night!!) I still bring the family down for days out occasionally. We stayed at a B&B once and they thought I was local to the Forest (accent notwithstanding!!), as I knew so many places, especially by 'unofficial' names, such as Traveller's Rest, just up from Parkend - which has been transformed since that first view I got of it years ago - then again, so has much of the DFR!! B)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I meant to say, I hadn't been to the DFR since Parkend opened :unsure:

Archived