RMweb

Borough Market Bridge move

• RMweb Gold

I spent some time around London Bridge this weekend, watching part of the bridge move. Being unwilling to stay through the night, I missed the actual move and lowering, but was there for the final positioning today.

flickr bridge move.

I have failed in a couple of attempts to paste a sample picture so will leave it at the link.

The process was interesting, despite many hours of little apparent major activity, though this did allow the watchers to focus on some of the more minor, though essential activities.

Skanska thoughtfully provided refreshments, and a Routemaster to provide a grandstand view of the worksite. Many of those involved with the operation spent "idle time" to talk to watchers about the progress, or lack thereof.

It sounds as if there will be another closure next week to complete some of the overhead.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

A very interesting set of pics, thankyou. Having travelled the route into CX for more than 20 years, and walked over the Boro' Market bridge a few times, too, it is great to see things moving on with improvements at last.

Aren't engineers clever people?

Thanks for posting those, like Ian I used to commute through there but mainly in two periods - late 60s/early 70s and late 90s. It's great they've managed to work around the existing buildings as much as possible and not just trashed Borough Market, one of London's hidden jewels IMO. Many an excellent drinking session in the Market Porter B)

The engineering on this project is rather awesome as I commented last week, the bridge move, not just *near* but in some cases over old buildings must have made for some nervous planners as there was absolutely no leeway to get things wrong!

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Notmorerailwaypics/2011/22nd-April-2011-A-walk-in/16726726_p8rP5N#1261674354_r2PMs8f

From memory the last couple of rail bridge installations in London both had an "issue" or two (the ELL bridges at Shoreditch and New Cross Gate) but I didn't want to mention that and jinx it! :unsure: :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say the technology applied to today's bridge building is impressive, build off site and lift into place with giant mobile hydraulic lifts - so much less disruptive.

although in this case the "off site" build of the portion that now sits across Borough High Street was actually on top of the portion that crosses Borough market, and was slid along on rails - which made the build both impressive and highly visible to rail travellers (and office workers like me!)

Archived