code 75 track question

Hi guys. A quick track question. Nearly ready to start laying track, and would like to go down the C and L flexi, and Peco code 75 point route.(pardon the pun!)

Are there any differences in rail height between the two? I know the Peco sleepers are quite thick. Might have to rethink if I can't laythe two of them straight down.

Thanks

Lee

• RMweb Gold

There are differences Code 75/85 iirc but use of packing and files will make it work, we did the same with SMP in the past, be careful where the joint is though, as it might be very obvious !

Thanks for that. Was sort of hoping that wouldn't be the answer!I have already bought a box of C and L, and was happy to make my own points. However, the layout plan is now a LOT bigger, and the number of points required has increased a great deal.

I don't really have the time to construct that many, and the kits are rather expensive. Might even have to consider selling the C and L on, and fully go Streamline, much as I don't like the look of it.

Never easy is it?

Regards

Lee.

Don't be too despondent Lee. I've just gone through the same process and come to much the same decision... to stick with Peco 75. BUT, I'm modifying all the points in the way others have done (and illustrated on RMweb) to improve their appearance, including hacking them about to get a more realistic 6'0" way, getting rid of the spring mechanism, minimising the tie bar and moving one of the switch blades by 1mm to reduce the gaping gap.

Will also be widening the sleeper spacings on plain track.... and spending plenty of time making sure the ballasting and weathering is 'top notch'. Something I really like doing!

I've done trials and am well satisfied with the results (needed to prove to myself I could do it before finally deciding... and if I can do it....

I'll have no regrets because I'll save £100's AND will be playing trains when otherwise I'd be still making pointwork!

Go for it!!

After further thought, and a chat with the chap at C and L, I don't think I am going to be happy going down the Peco route, code 75 or not. I have built my own pointwork before, just not in the quantity required for my current project.

Guess this is going to be quite a long term construction project after all!

Regards

Lee

Archived